Chapter 7

Meredith woke up, a sharp pain as she tried to open her eyes. Her head was pounded from the heavy drinking. She looked around, startled by the man laying next to her. She tried to remember exactly what happened the night before but it was a blur of events. She realized she was completely naked under the sheet, a gasp as she remembered what happened. She quickly shook the body next to her, a groan escaping from him.

"What time is it?" He mumbled.

"Early, you need to sneak out," she said in a hushed tone.

"You kicking me out already?" He asked, blinking a few times.

"Yes. I have roommates, they can't see you," she said as she tried to push him from her bed.

"Five more minutes," he said, turning and putting his arms around her.

"Derek, I'm serious," she said as she pulled away from him.

"I knew you were going to regret this," he sighed, sitting up and looking for his clothes.

"Not that. I mean there's a lot of history and it's complicated," she shook her head. She didn't know how to tell him this couldn't happen. She couldn't risk falling in love with him all over again just to have her heart ripped out of her chest.

"It's only complicated if you make it," he said, finding his pants in the floor and pulling them to his waist.

"No, it is complicated. You're my boss, my bosses boss. I'm an intern, you're an attending. And you are divorced with a kid!" She said.

"Meredith, we need to talk. Like a real talk," he said to her, finding his sweater.

"Not now, now you have to leave," she said as she quickly got dressed herself.

"Can we at least talk later? Say dinner at my place?" He offered.

"If I say yes, will you hurry up?" She asked.

"Yes," he nodded.

"Then yes, but you have to leave now," she said as she opened her door, looking to see if anyone was awake. She walked him down quietly and out the back door.

"Who you sneaking out of here?" Cristina asked as she came around the corner.

"Shit, you scared me," Meredith replied.

"You didn't answer me, I heard you two last night," Cristina said, walking to the coffee pot and starting coffee for them.

"I screwed up," Meredith frowned, looking at her home that was a disaster.

"What did you do?" Cristina groaned.

"I slept with Derek," Meredith mumbled.

"Seriously! The dude has a kid and an attending. That's like suicide for an intern," Cristina said.

"Yeah and I agreed to have dinner with him tonight," Meredith sighed.

"Jesus, are you trying to date the man?" Cristina asked, pouring herself some coffee into a travel mug.

"No, I just want to talk. We have a lot of history Cris," Meredith said.

"Sounds messy, I'd run."

"I can't exactly ignore him forever. Just need to clear the air and move on with my life."

"Whatever. I heard Richard hired a new cardio attending. Maybe I can finally get some practice in," Cristina said, changing the subject.

"Jesus, what happened last night?" George asked, coming from the living room. His hair was a complete mess, his shirt was on inside out and he looked like a complete mess.