Chapter 9

Meredith felt this odd sense of relief and exhaustion. It feels like she had just closed her eyes when her alarm started ringing. She turned over, she knew she had to wake him so he could sneak away. It feels oddly familiar, probably because she pictured herself doing the same thing when she was in high school. She just wanted to lay here five more minutes with him. The previous night was amazing, they sat in his car most of the night, just laughing and catching up. He opened up in a way he would never have before, he told her about his family which she wondered about for years, and his struggles that he found in his career.

She was surprised to learn that neuro wasn't always going to be his specialty, he focused on Cardio most of his residency but one neuro case completely changed him in his fourth year. Richard had taken a big risk for him to come to Seattle, he had only been an attending for two years when he moved out here, not much under his belt but Seattle had given his opportunities he would have never got in New York. When he switched specialties, he had told her that was the demise of his relationship with Addison. He had to basically restart fresh with only one year left to learn everything he could about neuro. He spent so much time at the hospital between sitting in on surgeries and research, Addison had told him to chose between her and neuro.

"Derek," she said quietly, running her hand over his chest and down his abdomen.

"Yeah?" He said with a yawn, looking over at her. The street light that came through the window was just enough to show his face.

"You gotta go, they are going to be up soon," she whispered back.

"What time is it?"

"5am," she replied, pulling the sheet up to cover herself as she sat up.

"Just a little longer," he said back to her, reaching his hand up and caressing her cheek.

"You have to go Derek," she sighed, his touch made it so hard for her to kick him out.

"You should come to my place tonight, little more privacy," he smirked.

"Can't, already blew off Cristina last night for you. She won't let me live it down," she replied.

"Ok, well Monday night, you are mine," he smirked, pushing the sheets off him as he grabbed his jeans and shirt.

"Night shift all next week," she replied.

"I'll stay late Monday and we can have dinner," he offered.

"Ok," she smiled back at him. It all felt so surreal, she felt like she was in a dream waiting for the other shoe to drop. She got out of bed, finding her clothes to put on. She walked out the front door with him, walking with him to his car.

"I had fun," she said to him just before he got in the car.

"Me too, see you there later," he walked back over, taking her into a kiss. As he pulled away, smiling down at her, she felt so weak in the knees the way he looked at her.

"Ok," she turned and went to her car. Her shift didn't start for another hour but she wanted to get an early start on the day. She also wanted to go check on Mr. Levangie. She had a soft spot for the stubborn man, he reminded her oddly of her mother. She missed her sometimes, though she would have something to say about every life choice she had made but she knew Ellis would be secretly proud of her.

She got to the hospital, taking her time getting her scrubs on. It was rare the locker room was ever quiet, always someone in there at most times either between shifts or just to have a moment to theirselves. She grabbed her things, shoving them into her pockets and grabbing a new battery for her pager. She made her way through the halls to his room, knocking lightly.