Chapter 5

Meredith felt her whole body shake awake, her heart was beating out of her chest. She looked over at the clock, realizing that her alarm was going to go off soon. She hated her nightmares, they had gotten a lot better in the years but she still suffered from them. Most of them being the same over and over again. She was trapped in a hotel room, she would scream for help but no one would ever come. She hated it, she still had no idea what even caused the dream. She decided to go ahead and get ready for work, leaving early. She felt off, that was for sure. That something didn't feel right at all.

Her drive to the hospital was pretty uneventful and quite, normally she would ride with Cristina but she had taken a night shift. The locker room was empty, she decided to get a head start and go straight to the ER. There she found Cristina, slumped over behind the nurses station.

"You're here early," Cristina said with a yawn.

"Yeah, wanted to take your advice and get the best cases," Meredith said as she looked through the small stack of charts.

"Slow night, literally nothing but some sick people. Hopefully it will pick up," Cristina said as she pulled herself from the chair.

"You working tonight too?" Meredith asked.

"No, back on days tomorrow. Going to go home and take a nap. Maybe run some errands," Cristina said, stretching her arms and back.

"Alright, hey we need some tampons," Meredith said to her.

"If I go out I'll pick some up," Cristina said before leaving. Meredith sighed and looked around at the dead ER. She grabbed a chart and started looking through. A few labs needed done so she decided to start those to keep herself busy. She still couldn't shake the feeling that she was missing something. She slowly made her way to the lab, just as she heard her pager begin blaring. She immediately turned around and hurried to the ambulance bay.

"You're early," Bailey said to her as she was already waiting.

"Wanted to get a head start. Know anything yet?" Meredith asked.

"Semi vs a car, two patients in transport," Bailey said as she gloved up. Just then, an ambulance pulled into the bay.

"What do we got?" Bailey called out as she rushed the doors of the ambulance.

"19 year old female. Driver of the car, appears to be pregnant. Multiple head lacerations, right pupil is dilated, blood pressure is through the roof," the paramedic said as he rolled her down to the ground. Meredith suddenly come to a complete stop. She felt her whole heart shatter, hearing those words.

"What's happening to me?" Meredith started asking quickly. She was glad she decided to travel to England, where most people know and speak English. If she was going to decide what to do with this baby, she would have liked to know. Suddenly at one of her OB appointments, she was rushed to the hospital.

"Your blood pressure is 189/108. That is dangerously high. We have to deliver this baby right now," he said to her.

"What? No this can't be happening. She's only at 26 weeks. Do you know the survival rate in that?" She screamed, clinching her stomach.

"This is happening and we will do everything we can to save your baby," he said to her as he quickly started to move. Everything happened so fast, she doesn't remember much. It happened in a blur, one moment she was laying on the operating table and the next she was in a hospital room, alone. She had never felt so alone in her entire life. Like the whole world was weighing on her. She wanted so badly to call someone, Derek or Cristina. But she knew she had to do this alone. She finally was awake enough to hit the call button. A nurse showed up almost immediately.