Chapter 22 - The ambush

(POV) Thatcher

Did we miss a target? Is it possible that one was able to call for backup before we killed them all? Then again, how did they get here so fast? Was this their plan all along? This is not good. Glaz burst through one of the entrances at full speed, yelling at us.

"We need a plan and fast! There's a lot of them!"

We can hear him running towards us before we get to see him. He's clutching his right shoulder as he approaches. One good look tells me he got shot which means the enemies might be right behind him.

"Lion, help Glaz with his shoulder. Everyone else, get ready for a fire fight" I tell them.

"No, we should retreat before they surround the building!" Ash replies.

"The building already is sour under!" Lion yells.

"No, not yet. If we are quick enough we can escape through the north exit" Glaz says while Lion looked at his wound.

"If you guys don't figure this out soon, I'll take matters into my own hand" Saber says.

There he goes again. Someone is going to have to explain teamwork to him again.

"No, no you won't"

"I would like to see you try getting in my way" Saber said, challenging me.

"This isn't the ti-" Ash started saying before a loud explosion was heard.

"Too late" Saber said.

Before I could say anything else, he rushed towards the sound, leaving us alone. Does he have a death wish or something?

"Hibana, Thatcher, go after him. We'll watch over Glaz and Lion" Ash ordered.

"On it!" Hibana said before darting towards Saber's last known location.

I followed after her, ready to shoot anyone in our way. Up ahead, we can hear the cries of people getting slaughtered and the defined sound of metal cutting through flesh. I was used to hearing the cries, but the other sound was giving me chills. The way it repeated every couple of seconds and then was followed by a cry of horror was new to me. Don't get me wrong, I have had my fair share of knife battles, but it still doesn't completely measure up to what this sounds like.

Once we reached the boy, he had already killed all the ones willing to go through the man made whole in the wall. He had no scratch on him even though I remember hearing gunshots in this direction.

"You're crazy" Hibana said to Saber.

He just stared back at her, not willing to argue about something so meaningless right now. The blood covering his clothes made him look terrifying and the bodies on the ground amplified the feeling. As the sun shined through the whole, it helped display the carnage Saber had done, but it also made him look like an avenging warrior...

...until he gets shot from the outside and falls to the ground, screaming in pain.

"HIBANA! COVER ME!" I yelled at her, while I ran over to our newest teammate.

He was clutching his wound and groaning in pain. I offered him my hand, but he didn't seem to notice it.

"SABER, TAKE MY HAND!" I yelled over Hibana's gun fire.

His head moved in my direction, and it looks like he finally registered I was there. With his empty hand, he grabs mine and I haul him up, back on his feet.

"PUT YOUR WEIGHT ON ME AND LET'S GO!" I tell him.

"Sword..." he manages to say. "I need my sword"

He motions to the ground where his sword, dipped in blood, glistens in the sunlight. Instead of listening to me, he shuffles over to it before falling to the ground again. Oh for the love of-

Internally, I swear at him and grateful to Hibana for keeping the White Mask's at bay. Saber managed to pick up his sword by crawling towards it, but before I could pick him up again, a bullet grassed my back. It didn't manage to hurt me because of my armour, but it reminded me this isn't the place to be wasting time.

"THATCHER, HURRY UP!" Hibana yelled over at me.

Grabbing Saber under his arms, I manage to haul him over my shoulder and run for cover. I tap Hibana's shoulder, signalling her to stop shooting. All of us managed to get back to the other without incident. Now we need to come up with a plan to get out of here. With two wounded, our chances of surviving a full-blown assault are very low.

"What happened?" asked Ash.

"Guess" I tell her, dropping Saber gently on the ground.

"Hah, he got himself shot. Predictable" Lion scoffed.

"At least I'm useful" Saber said through gritted teeth.

"Qu'est-ce que t'a dit maud-" Lion started saying.

"Not the time! We need to leave, and we need to do it now" I interrupt him.

"The North exit is our best way out, then we retreat through the forest" Blitz says.

"Then what? Just keep walking till they catch up?" asked Ash.

"It's our best option. There's a high chance they already trapped the car with explosives, so we can't use that" I explain.

"Let's go then" Glaz said.

We are in agreement then, finally. I offered my hand to Saber again and this time he took it. As he sheathed his sword, I got to see his wound. It's a bullet wound in his stomach. It didn't make sense to me because he still had the armour plate on him. Unless the bullet was a high enough calibre to pierce through the armour... It doesn't matter right now.

"Lion, do you still have bandages? Saber needs one for his stomach" I said.

"Let's get out first. Saber, just apply pressure to the wound. It looks like the armour took the majority of the blow. Consider yourself lucky" Ash explained.

Turns out the intel was right all along.