Chapter 18 - The assassin

(POV) Mira

He's been on the team for what? Six hours? And already he is on the verge of dying, getting put into a high security prison and has angered half the base. I have never seen anything so incredible yet disastrous. I knew it, I just knew this guy would get himself in trouble. I didn't know it would be this quick. What was he thinking?

With the help of Doc, we managed to get the assassin to the infirmary without any incident. Caveira had escorted the recruit right behind us, yelling at anyone who tried to follow and get answers. I know drama was scarce around here, but seriously it wasn't the first time someone was shot. They could wait another couple hours for their answers.

The recruit and Saber were placed on opposite sides of the infirmary. Doc had called for a nurse to take a look at the recruit and had me help him with our new teammate. The teammate in question glared at us. Well, I presumed he was glaring through those glasses of his.

"Saber, I'm going to have to look at that wound. Don't make this hard" Doc said, slowly approaching Saber, acting like the assassin on the bed was a rabid dog instead of a human being. "I need you to roll onto your uninjured side, so I can have a look at it"

Saber didn't seem happy with the orders, but obliged. Doc leaned in to get a better look at the bleeding hole. Caveira and I watched the young man to make sure he doesn't do anything stupid.

"I'm going to have to cut through this fabric to get a better look at this wound. I won't hurt you" Doc said, picking up a pair of scissors from a nearby medical tray.

"Don't you dare! I'll take off my shirt, but don't you dare cut it" Saber exclaimed.

Why would he care about a hoodie that much? We could supply him with another similar one if he liked it so much. He sat upright before Doc could come back with the scissors. I exchanged a look with Cav. This man is very strange. He tossed his shirt onto the bed. The first thing I noticed was all the scars he bore. They ranged from long heeled cuts to shorter, deeper ones. They ran down his arms and I presume his back as well.

One stood out. A round one, bullet sized, at his shoulder that looked brand new. It looked well taken care of, which is surprising since he has been on the run before he ended up here again.

"Just get it over with" Saber said, getting back on his side.

He didn't seem bothered that he just showed us all the abuse he has been through. I'll have to ask him about it someday... or maybe now. As if sensing my desire to get answers, Caveira gave me simple shake of her head. The gesture told me to drop it for now, so I did.

Doc started his examination on the wound. He first cleaned up all the blood covering it and stood back. It wasn't a deep wound. Actually, it only looks like the bullet grazed his skin.

"Huh, I guess I'll only have to put a bandage on it and give you painkillers. Nice work Caveira" Doc said, gesturing to the wound.

Cav's show of skill is very impressive. I would have never thought she was that good with that pistol of hers

"If me skills aren't required here anymore, I'm going to go get food" she said.

"Thanks for your help" Doc said to here, retrieving a white rolled up cloth.

I waved and gave her a smile as she walked out the infirmary.

"Do you need my help?" I asked the Frenchman.

"If you could just check up on Johnson and tell me how he's doing, that would be great" he replied.

"On it"

The recruit didn't look too bad last time I saw him. More shocked than anything. If it was a real battle scenario, he wouldn't have survived. Johnson was lying on a medical bed like the one Saber was on. The knife that had been in his shoulder minutes ago now sat on a metal sheet. Blood still covered the knife. Johnson had a ripped shirt with a bandage covering the spot the knife had embedded itself in his skin.

"Are you feeling ok?" I ask him.

"Yeah, I'm fine. They gave me painkillers, so I don't feel anything. What is he doing here?"

"He's one of ours now. Six made a deal with him" I said.

"Oh, I wasn't aware" the recruit replied.

"Well now you know and hopefully something like this won't happen again"

The recruit nodded. I do hope nothing like this ever happens again. Saber could be a very good operator, he just needs to trust us more... and stop being so aggressive. I glanced over at the knife again. There was some small scratches on it and when I picked it up to investigate, I saw why. Saber had scratched out the emblem that was once inscribed in the knife for some reason. I have so many questions.

"Not so tough after all"

Pulse's voice rang through the room, which was only separated by medical curtains. This can't be good. I walked over to the other side of the room, still clutching the knife in my hand. Saber's bed was clearly visible from the entrance of the infirmary where Pulse stood. Doc looked between the two men, wondering what was going to happen next.

Pulse snickered before looking my way. "What happened?"

"Cav shot him"

"Well deserved" Pulse said, crossing his arms over his chest.

I'm surprised he hadn't mentioned the scares yet. Either he didn't see them, which was impossible, or they didn't faze him. The latter was more probable. Saber glared at the American. He had a bandage that went around his waist where he was shot. In one hand, he gripped his shirt and the other was supporting his weight.

The hate flowing between the two is almost palpable. They are sure the steer up some problems in the future. It's not a rare occurrence to see to operators hate each other, but it certainly is pain to deal with. Take Lion for example. He and the Brits don't have the best track record. Let's just hope Pulse and Saber don't cause too much damage. To themselves or others.

"Pulse, I'll be with you in a second to check on your shoulder. If you could go back to your room, that would be appreciated" Doc broke the deadly silence.

Pulse left with an annoyed expression on his face. The tension in the room dropped. I gave Gustave an appreciative glance before turning my attention back to Saber. He was now sitting cross-legged on the bed and putting his shirt back on. A nurse came by with a bottle of painkillers in her hand and gave them to Doc. The man responded with a smile and a nod.

"Here, these will take the pain away" Doc said, handing the bottle over to the assassin.

"I don't need them" Saber replied.

His head was tilted downwards, telling me something had saddened him.

"It doesn't seem like you need anything from us. Don't need our help. Don't need our friendship. Don't need our painkillers. If you keep going like this, you will find it very hard to live here" I say.

"I don't care and I don't need a lecture from someone like you" Saber said, meeting my gaze with a furious one.

This kid has so many problems, and he's killing himself slowly with them. If only he could understand that we only mean to help him.