Chapter 15 - The welcome

(POV) Saber

Was taking the offer a mistake? Perhaps it was, perhaps not, but only time will tell and it's making me nervous. See, walking the halls of the Rainbows base freely is weird and meeting new faces that don't immediately want to kill me is something I have never done. Well, except Patricia of course, but she wasn't a threat to my life... that I know of. The base was still a mangled maze to me. Maybe I should have asked for a tour guide or something.

The signs helped a bit, I found the training area outside pretty easily. I don't know if the signs helped me more than the annoying sound of gunfire polluting the air, but I will say that I will be avoiding that area for now on. Besides, if this Six person was right, I would have enough space in my dorm room to train.

When he mentioned the social aspect of my new "job", I almost laughed. There is no way I'm going to make friends in this place. If anything, I'm going to avoid all the gun loving killers in this place more than anything. I wonder if any of them actually know how to use a knife in battle. Now that would be fun to see. A couple highly trained killers swiping a small dagger back and forth like a new 6-year old trainee.

The cafeteria was the next thing that I stumbled upon. The air was filled with the smell of food, and I was immediately drawn to it. I don't know when was the last time I actually ate anything. Maybe the bar? Meh, whenever it was didn't matter. All that matters is that I can get some food in my stomach before something bad happens... like starting a fight in a very full cafeteria.

An old man and a young woman were behind a counter wearing a chefs attire. They were both talking to each other in murmured voices while the man cooked something on a stove. Whatever it is smelled very good. As I made my way over, I felt the heavy stares of everyone in the room. The place slowly grew quieter and quieter until only the ventilation system could be heard and the sizzling of the pan.

"Hi there, I've never seen you around here before. You new?" said the woman after turning around and spotting me. "Ah you must be hungry! Pops is making omelets, should be done soon. What's your name?"

She was quite cheerful, very friendly. I was almost inclined to trust her and tell her all my secrets, but I stopped myself before I make a very terrible mistake. If she wanted to know my name, I could give that too her since everyone in here must already know it, but nothing more than that.

"My name is Saber" I said through the bandanna covering my mouth.

"Oh, well it's good to meet you Saber! My name is Elizabeth and that is Pops. Welcome to Rainbow" she said excitedly.

The man at the stove picked up the pan and a yellowy thing with green and orange bits slid onto a plate. I have never heard of an omelet before but it didn't look that appetizing. A small trail of smoke was coming off of it. If I wasn't so ravenous, I wouldn't have taken the plate from the old man but my stomach urged my to take it. The old man gave me a smile and pointed towards a set of cutlery I could use. I nodded at him as a form of appreciation and walked over to the spot he pointed at.

Now the hard part is going to be finding a spot that isn't occupied and hidden away from the watching operatives. The fact that I'm being stared down by every pair of eyes in this room is giving me anxiety. I quickly found a small secluded space in a corner and after speed walking towards it, I started checking out the weird piece of food on my plate.

By this point, the operatives have resumed their conversations with each other. With the help of a fork, I start poking at the omelet. It isn't similar to anything I have seen before, but I do notice the peppers inside it. Oh well, might as well try it before it gets cold. With one hand, I lower my bandanna and with the other I cut off a piece. Here goes nothing.

It tastes like eggs with peppers, but with something else mixed in. Maybe milk? I don't know but it is very good. This is my new favorite thing to eat. I take a few more bits, satisfying my hunger, when someone interrupts my lovely evening.

"So you're the new guy. Please to meet you, my name is Elena but you may call me Mira"

A woman sat down in front of me. I could easily distinct the accent she had but I do not know where it is from. Neither could I figure out why she was trying to talk to me, so I just stared her in the eyes. There is no way I am socializing with these people.

"I understand you might not like us for what we did in the past couple of days, but you're going to have to get over whatever grudge you hold against us. We are your new family whether you like it or not" she said.

It's quite interesting that she finds the rest of these killers to be her family, but one thing is for sure I will never be a part of this family and I will never become like them.

"I am not one of you and I never will" I said and cut of another part of the omelet to feed myself.

"You might think that now, but that will change over time. I've been here long enough to know that people can change their mindset and you're no different" she says with a grin on her face.

"You're delusional"