Chapter 16 - The problem

(POV) Mira

"I'm not delusional. If anything, you are the delusional one" I reply.

He's very defensive, just like a couple other operators I know. Hopefully he can come to trust me sooner rather than on the battlefield. I had too many of those situations to know it's better to know your teammates before you are both bleeding out on the floor. We already have too many secretive operators as it is.

"Don't use my words against me" said the young assassin.

His form and speech tells me he's not any older than 25 years old, which is concerning. From all I have heard from his background, which is still not a lot compared to most of the people in this room, he had an abnormal and hellish childhood. It explains why he doesn't trust anyone easily, but it makes it harder for me to earn his trust. I want him too at least make a couple friends here, like Mute did, or else he will be stuck alone like poor Vigil. Well, I see it as a bad thing, but I'm sure he doesn't mind being alone.

"Listen, you are a part of us now, whether you like it or not. I suggest you start making friends or at least get to know people because you are going to fight alongside these people. I'm sure it will be better for everyone if you can start trusting us and us trusting you before we are both deployed" I said.

He seems to consider it for some time. I thought I got to him, until he cut off another piece of his omelet and ate it. He might be more hard-headed than I might have originally thought, which is a problem.

"I won't be here long enough for any of that to matter" he said, then swallowed his bite of food.

"Why do you say that?" I ask.

"Wouldn't you like to know?" he says before shoving the last piece of omelet in his mouth.

He stares at me one last time, raises his bandanna to cover his mouth and nose again and walks of with his empty plate. Talking to him was a total disaster, I see that now, but I won't give up. At some point he is going to open up to us, I can feel it.

Just as Saber gave his empty plate back to the cooks, Pulse and Ash walk in. It was rumored that Pulse and Saber had bad blood and I can safely say those rumors were true. Tensions were high already when Saber walked in, but now their higher with the looming look on Pulse's face. The crowd of operators silenced almost instantly as the two Americans stepped into the space.

Saber must have sensed the stare boring into his back because he turned around on a swivel and surveyed the new threat. This might be a problem.

"What?" said Saber.

His voice easily carried over the crowd to Pulse without having the shout, but what he said was like a taunt and only made Pulse angrier.

"You shouldn't be here" said Pulse.

"Tell me something I don't know" answered Saber.

Why is he trying to anger him so much? Wait, wasn't Pulse supposed to be in the med bay?

"Listen here..."

"Calm down" Ash interrupted Pulse. "He's our new teammate so you might want to try to get along"

"Oh, I remember you. I launched a blade into your shoulder. I'm going to need that blade back by the way" Saber said.

Oh so that's why they have bad blood. Saber's statement had other operators swiveling their heads around to see other's reaction and it only angered Pulse more. It was clear he wanted revenge and I understand where he is coming from, but this is not how you do it. Someone needs to intervene before this goes south.

"How about you fight me for it? I get to break a couple of your bones and you get to have your blade back" said Pulse.

"Sounds fair, but I hope you know I have the upper hand. Even if you hide behind your guns, I can still take you down" Saber replied.

What is he talking about?

"I don't need guns to fight you. I can kill you with my fists" said Pulse.

"I would love to see you try, gun lover. Just so you know, I'm a trained assassin. You will have a hard time even landing a hit" Saber taunted.

If Ash wasn't by his side holding his arm back, I'm sure Pulse would have run over to Saber and punched him right in his face. These two need to be kept far from each other before they kill each other.

"That's enough out of both of you! Pulse, you know better than this! Saber, stop taunting him, you aren't helping" said an angry Thatcher, who was now standing in the middle of the crowd of hungry operators.

"Come on, let's go somewhere else" Ash said, leading Pulse out of the cafeteria.

Saber, on the other hand, was having a stare down with Thatcher. This kid is going to get himself in a lot of trouble very quickly.

"Who are you supposed to be? I don't remember having to listen to you" Saber said.

Several of the operatives let out a gasp and so did I. This kid really is going to be a problem.

"Maybe one day you will understand the foundation of this organization and why we are so effective, but until then you are nothing but a kid with a couple blades and a bad attitude. I see no reason to snoop to your level, it will only be a waste of my time" replied Thatcher.

Saber retreated from the room, his tail between his legs with nothing else to say. Today, I learned a lot about our newest recruit and I know there is much more to uncover. One thing is clear to me, he is going to be a major problem for the next couple weeks.