Chapter 7 - The investigation

(POV) Pulse

The search for the criminal hasn't gotten anywhere. The cameras proved to be inefficient and only told us the suspect fled through the forest close to the base. Even after a couple days of searching the whole forest with search dogs, we haven't gotten any closer. When one of the search dogs had led us to a small town, we thought we had him, but it turned out to be even more challenging now than it was before.

Six had interacted with the local police, ordered for them to make an announcement. Which they did, of course. They even sent out a couple of their officers to assist our patrol team which consisted of myself, Twitch, Lion and IQ. I was very aware at the lack of training the officers had gone through. The amount of incompetence that was radiating from them was unbelievable. They probably don't know how to shoot a gun.

Since the public announcement, the town has become quite literally a ghost town. Half the shops were closed, the only park in town was barren of any living soul and you could walk for 20 minutes without seeing a single town resident. Since we were the only ones walking around, we seemed very out-of-place, so we came to a group decision to keep our gear on.

We had gone door to door to check on the residents, asking them a couple questions and occasionally checking out the house. There were a couple citizens that offered us a couple minutes of rest with food and drinks, which was only declined by me and followed by the officers whining. You'd think they had enough training to walk around town for half a day without needing a break but no, not these guys.

We had covered half the town by the time one of the officers had announced he was done working for the police department and walked to a bar. It was then that I lost my patience.

"You two might as well follow him, because we aren't going to stop this search until we find this criminal" I said to the other two officers.

Both of them seemed surprised by my sudden outburst, but didn't question it. The other Rainbow operators watched as they followed the first officer. Lion chuckled, but continued towards the next house.

"Nice" said Twitch as she passed me to follow Lion.

"You have a way with words" said IQ, next to me.

"They were slowing us down tremendously" I said.

"I know" she said.

A ways away, Lion started talking with the house owner with Twitch by his side. I couldn't make out what they were saying from my position.

"At this rate, we might as well gather the whole town and check the houses" I said.

"I believe we well get lucky soon and our search will become easier" said IQ.

Lion waved goodbye to the woman who had answered the door and Twitch was already heading to the next house. The French man looked over at us and motion to us to follow. IQ sighed next to me and walked towards him. I had no choice but to follow. The only sound that could be heard is the sound of our boots meeting the ground with the occasional gust of wind.

Our team met up with Twitch in front of another house. Twitch had knocked on the door as we gather around the door. A man that look like he was in his mid-thirties opened up the door. Everything about him yelled raging alcoholic. Through my years I have learned how to deal with alcoholics and delinquents, so I took hold of the situation before Lion could do anything stupid... like starting a brawl with this man.

"Hello, my name is Pulse and I'm with the FBI. My team and I are searching for the criminal we were told was-"

"Listen... I don't... CARE what you... want with me... go back to where you came from" the man said.

It was very clear he was intoxicated and probably on the edge of passing out. He couldn't even keep himself upright.

"Listen, we just need you to-" I tried to get a full sentence out, but I was interrupted again by the alcoholic.

"I DON'T CARE! GET OFF... MY LAW" he yelled.

I felt one of the others shifting behind me. A photo appeared in my hand, one of the criminal we were chasing.

"We just need to know if you have seen this man" I said, while showing the man the picture.

He seemed displeased, but looked at it anyways. We patiently waited for a couple minutes, giving the man enough time to processing the picture.

"I know this guy... I hate this guy" he simply said.

I was shocked. We had a lead... and it was from a drunk that was about to pass out.

"Where did you seem him?" I ask.

"Wouldn't you... like to know" said the man.

Lion pushed forward, grabbing the man by his shirt and yelled into his face.

"Listen here, we've been walking all day trying to make your town safer, and we are all tired. Now, you are going to tell us where you saw this man or else I'm breaking your neck"

"He... he was at the bar! Down... the street! I swear!" the drunk said.

"Thank you" Lion let go of the man, who fell to the ground.

The French man walked away while the rest of us stood there, still wondering how much nerve Lion had. The alcoholic quickly slammed the door shut and stumble towards something, if the sounds we were hearing where any clue.

The rest of us looked at each other before catching up to Lion. We were all heading towards the only bar on this street, hoping it was the good one.

"That was stupid of you" I said to Lion.

"He won't remember it happening" he said.

"Doesn't mean it's ok to do it"

"I got us a lead. Be a bit great full"

And this is why I hated this man. So full of himself, thinks brute force will help with anything. Many others at Rainbow share the same hatred towards the French man. Fights between him and the Brits were almost a common thing when they were both in a room. Doc would always try to bring the peace back, but it doesn't always end well.

The bar we were heading too was open, which relieved me. The windows were tinted, but a neon sign lit up the word open. I took the lead and headed inside first. The sight that was in front of me wasn't one I thought I would ever see.

"Oh what the fu-"