Chapter 20 - The news

(POV) Thatcher

"Good hit"

This kid isn't half bad. He lacks defensive skills, but he knows how to attack. He got me good a couple of times, but I'm still able to put him on the ground easily. I'm sure some of his hits are going to leave bruises considering how hard he hits. I did notice he had a weak spot, his head. He doesn't seem to know how to counteract a blow heading for his head, which is a big problem.

"Alright, stop, stop" I say while backing off from him. "You don't block shots to your head, why?"

"I never needed too" he replied.

There were many words I could use to describe Saber, but infuriating and intriguing would best fit his personality. Who in this career field never had to block a hit to their face? What happened to this kid? Maybe one day he will open up.

Taking hold of his arm, I swiftly spin him and let him drop to the ground. He landed on his back with a thud. He still has to learn a couple things, but he isn't untrained.

"You're sloppy"

It wasn't supposed to be an insult, just something to get him mad. I want to see if he can control himself while angry. If he can't, then I'll have to deal with him... or help him. I haven't decided yet.

"You're old" he said, still on his back.

Kids got some snark on 'em. Gives me some idea on what his life was before this. He's defensive, physically and mentally. He's the type to adapted to a problem quickly and move on. Rainbow needs more people like this in its ranks, just some with a better attitude.

"I've heard that one too often. Try thinking of something creative next time" I reply, lending him my hand.

"Whatever" he said, taking my hand and getting up.

"Another round?"

This sparring session wasn't a complete waste of my time. I noticed Saber has picked up a couple new deflective moves and attacks. Still, it was close to midday and we are both getting tired, so my offer might get turned down. Or someone could come running towards us and interrupt our moment.

"Thatcher! Saber! Six is deploying you on a mission. Briefing is in 20 minutes" yelled a recruit.

Great, wonder what this will be about. Also, why is Saber coming? He is still new and has much to learn. Could be a training exercise in disguise. Saber isn't ready for our type of missions. He does have a good track record, but this time he needs to think about his teammates, not just himself.

Might as well go to the meeting place right now to question whoever is in charge about this decision. Depending on who was given charge of this mission, it might go smoothly, or we might have a rogue Saber again. I would rather not deal with the latter.

"Where do we have to go?" asked Saber from behind me.

He's been quietly following me to the meeting place. I have a suspicion that he's checking for landmarks and memorizing everything we pass by on our way there. Well, he would do that if he was smart. Unless he already knows where we are going, and he's just acting dumb to throw me off. Intriguing personality.

"Briefing room is just up ahead. It's where we go for mission briefings" I explained.

He made a small humming sound. We continued walking in silence and finally reached our destination. The door to the room was already open, welcoming us inside. We seemed to be the first ones here, except for Ash.

"Finally, I thought I would have to track both of you down. The rest of the team is already informed on the mission and are prepping as we speck" she said. "Let's go. I'll explain the mission on the way"

Ash speed walked out the room, giving me no time to confront her about the Saber situation. The last time I saw her this much out of control was when she first got here on her first mission. This mission must mean a lot to her. Or she isn't very fond of Saber. Either way she is going to have to calm down. Sooner rather than later. Saber and I walked behind her, trying to keep her pace.

"We received intel that some White Masks are on their way to secure a chemical facility nearby. This chemical facility store very deadly chemicals and if they fall in the wrong hands, we could have another Bartlett situation on our hands" she said.

Ah, now her nervousness makes sense. Bartlett was her first mission so this must bring back some memories for her.

"Who do we have coming with us?" I ask.

"Blitz, Hibana, Lion and Glaz. I'm lead as you might have guessed. We are taking some Gurkha's over there, shouldn't be more than a 2-hour drive" she said.

We made it to the lockers. The rest of the team was already prepped and ready to go.

"Get ready as fast as you can. The plan is simple. Glaz takes point and gives us intel, giving us cover whenever he can. Hibana and Blitz will enter from the back door while the rest of us fight the ones at the main door. Try not to get yourselves killed" Ash said.

"You should not have put me on the same team as him" Lion said, pointing to Saber who was just standing there with no armor.

"Lion, don't start. Kid, take this. It might feel uncomfortable but it will save your life" I said, while handing him a bullet proof vest from Rook's stash.

"Just saying, what good would he do?" Lion continued.

"He might save your life. Now stop acting like a teenager. We have to save the world" I answer him.

He launched me a death glare while I armored myself. One of these days his ego is going to kill him.

"First mission, Saber. Don't mess up" Ash said as she walked off with a set of keys.