Chapter 24: The first task.

Percy PoV

We enter the tent for the champions.

"Yo!" I'm pitching.

All are already there, silent.
Cédric and Anne answer me.

"Ah! There you are!"

Ludo Bagman is heading towards us.
"All right, come closer, everyone. I will explain to you what this task consists of."

The champions approach and we make a circle around him.

He holds up a bag that is shaking.
"One by one, you're going to take turns picking out this bag, and what you'll get out of it in miniature will be what's waiting for you outside!"

No one speaks.

Ludo holds the bag out to the Beauxbatons team, where Fleur and Peter reach out to pull out miniature dragons.

Then it's the turn of Durmstrang, and finally Hogwarts.

"Percy, you're going to have to shoot twice!"
So I shoot twice.

"That's good. Now that you know what to expect, let's get started! These dragons are ferociously guarding a golden egg, and your goal is to catch it. The cannon shot will announce the beginning of the event. Good luck!"

And he go out of the tent.

A cannon shot is heard, followed by the clamor of the crowd.

The Durmstrang team heads outside, without exchanging any words.

Bagman's comments reach us, so even without seeing we know pretty much what's going on.

"Olala what an ingenious attempt! AND YES IT PASSES!"

Cheers come in, indicating that Krum and Anne have succeeded.
"Now let's see the jury's notes!"

Then silence, and a new clamor.

The notes are not announced orally.

BAM!
A new cannon shot.
This time, it's the Beauxbatons team that comes out. Fleur is livid, but Peter seems quite confident.

I turn to Harry and Cedric, silent.
"How are you ?"

"We're going to face two dragons. Apart from that, everything's fine," replies Harry.

"That'll do it. Remember the lessons, and be careful. Be constantly attentive."

They're nodding their heads.

"BUT WHAT AN INGENIOUS MANEUVER! PETER SNEAKS IN LIKE A SPIDER AND... Oh no, too bad! It was really not far!"

Apparently the team of Beauxbatons had difficulties.

"And how do you feel about it?"Cedric asks me.

"We'll see when I get there!"

"IT IS! THEY DID IT!"

New thunderous applause.
Then silence for the notes, and again applause.

Which means that...
BOOM!

"Good luck Harry, Cedric !"

Cedric nods his head and Harry gives me an inch in the air and then they come out, going to face their dragons in turn.

The minutes seem to last for hours.
Verpey had made several comments about how to fly, which certainly means that Harry managed to get his broom to come.

And then...
Great wave of "OOOOOOH"

Then " WHAOUUUUUUUU ".

And finally...
"THEY SUCCEEDED! LET'S NOTE THAT IT WAS THE TEAM THAT WAS THE FASTEST TO CATCH ITS EGG!"