Chapter 26: The ball is approaching. wait ... the ball ?!

Percy PoV

Clearly more fear than harm.

Except for a few minor injuries, but compared to the seriousness of the incident, I'm glad it didn't go any further.

In terms of property damage, however...
The dragons left marks.

Harry and I pass between people, reassuring them.

"Percy, come with me."
Dumbledore is standing next to me.

"I'll be right back, go to Ron and Hermione." I tell to Harry.

And I walk beside Dumbledore.

"What happened?"

"I'm not sure myself Dumbledore. I can't believe it, but it seems that monsters from my world have managed to join the party."

"It's quite disturbing. I make sure myself that the castle is safe, and I can assure you that nothing and no one can enter without my knowledge. Unless..."

"Unless there's a traitor inside the walls. I'm sorry Dumbledore, but it seems that there is."

Dumbledore has a vague look in his eyes.

"There's something else I need to tell you."

"Yes, Perseus?"

"The monsters that have taken possession of the dragons. They had something more. Something powerful. I couldn't kill them. It was with an extra form of power that they were invincible. But they didn't have that power."

"What do you mean, they didn't have it?"

"I mean that power was given to them, and it was continuous. It was Harry who by chance, without knowing what he was doing, broke that bond. I don't know myself what that connection was or how it works, but..."

"I get it. That means those monsters were just pawns. And the person who provided that power is still out there."

"Dumbledore, it's worse than that. Not only is that person or that thing out there, but it's among us. The fact that Harry arrested her is proof of that."

We walk for a few seconds in silence.

Dumbledore looks at me.
"You have an idea who it could be, don't you?"

"Yes, I do."

"Let's hear it."

I think for a few moments.
"Sorry, I can't talk about it."

"Perseus, you have to trust me. You are not alone in this fight."

"It's not a question of trust, Albus."

Dumbledore smiles a little when I call him by his first name. Probably very few people call him that.

"So what then?"Ask him.

"By strategy. I know that this person is also just a pawn, a sort of spy. But if I tell you who he is, then you're bound to change your behavior towards him, which might arouse suspicion. My objective would be to find out his purpose."

Dumbledore stops walking, pensive.
"It's an idea that makes sense. But we can't afford to put students in danger."

"I understand that. That's why if I perceive anything suspicious or dangerous to students other than me, I will inform you immediately."

Dumbledore smiles.
"Good. Let's do it this way."

We shake hands, sealing the deal.
I start leaving when he calls me back.
"Perseus, one last thing."