12

"Human beings need a lot to feel alive.
Family. Love. Sex. But we only need
one thing to actually be alive. We need
a beating heart. When our heart is
threatened, we respond in one of two
ways. We either run or we attack.
There's a scientific term for this.
Fight...or flight. It's instinct.
We can't control it. Or can we?"

Derek Shepard stood on the skyline walk-way, overlooking the lobby that sits underneath

Preston Burke was lifted off the ground, eyes darting around at the chaos around him.

Isobel Stevens sat in Denny's room, the severed LVAD wire in her hand.

Miranda Bailey shouted orders in the ER as one of her own interns was wheeled in.

Maira Grey laid on a gurney with a gunshot wound to the upper thigh.

Funny how being in the wrong place at the wrong time can change everything.

-

Maira had never given much thought as to what happened when someone died. The medical part sure; she knew that the heart stopped beating, blood no longer pumped to the brain and the internal organs shut down one after another. But what happened to someone's thoughts, their personality, their soul?

When her eyes finally opened again it was clear to Maira that she was either dreaming or dead. She was lying down in an empty trauma room, normal non-scrub clothes on, without a speck of blood on you. She was alone, though as she sat up and climbed off the gurney the door opened. She gasped and fell to her knees to greet Lucy, the cat and very first pet she had as a child. She was warm and purring, the opposite of the very last time Maira saw her lying on the side of the road as a teenager.

She scooped her up, brushing her fingers over her soft fur. "Lucy baby," she cooed. "I missed you so much."

"You're early."

Maira's head jerked up at the voice, and tears began filling her eyes at the other person now standing in the room with.

"Theo," she cried, dropping Lucy and lunging towards her old friend. Theo laughed, that beautiful bubbly sound Maira missed so much, and hugged back just as tightly.

"How you doing, twerp?"

"How am I?! How are you? What is this place?"

Theo's smile got a bit sadder as the two pulled apart, hands still clasped together. "You need to stop getting into trouble, Mai. It's not your time yet."

"Oh Theo, I miss you so much. I-I'm so sorry." Tears spilled over the woman's cheeks as she realized her friend wasn't any older than she'd been when she died. She was too young, a college girl with so much left to give.

"Maira Grey, none of it was your fault, do you hear me? I loved you so much, more than anything. You were the best friend I could've ever asked for."