06

"In surgery, there is a red line on the floor
that marks the point where the hospital
goes from being accessible to being off
limits to all but a special few. Crossing the
line unauthorized is not tolerated. In general,
lines are there for a reason. For safety. For
security. For clarity. If you choose to cross
the line, you pretty much do so at your
own risk. So why is it, that the bigger the
line, the greater the temptation to cross it?
We can't help ourselves. We see a line, we want
to cross it. Maybe it's the thrill of trading
the familiar for the unfamiliar. A sort of
personal dare. Only problem is, once you've
crossed it's almost impossible to go back.
But if you do manage to make it back
across that line you find safety in numbers."

"Are you coming to see Mom before work?" Meredith asked as she poured herself a cup of coffee

It was an early morning, the Grey twins having shifts that started today and ended tomorrow afternoon. 

Maira shook her head, mouth full of toast. She wasn't sure she could handle her mother on top of the upcoming overnight shift.

"Ok, well I'm just gonna stop in and check on her then I'll meet you at work."

Mai nodded, munching on her breakfast and waving goodbye as she left to go visit Ellis.

She finished her toast before slipping on her shoes and shouting, "Izzie! George! Let's get a move on!" They were going to be late if they didn't leave soon.

A herd of footsteps came down the stairs as Izzie and George appeared, dressed and ready to go. She handed them both some coffee before ushering them out the door. Maira was really starting to regret agreeing to carpool.

When they finally parked at the hospital and got out, they were met with a swarm of angry nurses standing outside the front doors. They had signs and were chanting as doctors and other employees walked past, trying to get into work.

Before anyone could comment, they heard a snarky remark that could only come from one person.

"I heard there are scab nurses coming," Christina popped up behind them, glaring at the loud nurses standing between her and the hospital. "I'm going in, no one's going to get in my way of surgery."

Maira wished her luck and watched as she braved the walk into work. Nurses immediately began throwing food at her, which Mai found unnecessary but funny none the less.

Izzie decided to go next, wrapping her coat tightly around herself as she followed between Cristina.

Olivia, one of the bolder nurses, yelled, "Change your own bedpans, Stevens!"