05

"Gratitude, appreciation, giving thanks. No
matter what words you use, they all mean
the same thing. Happy. We're supposed to
be happy. Grateful for friends, family.
Happy just to be alive. Whether we like it or
not. Maybe we're not supposed to be happy.
Maybe gratitude has nothing to do with
joy. Maybe being grateful means recognizing
what you have for what it is. Appreciating
small victories. Admiring the struggle it
takes simply to be human. Maybe we're
thankful for the familiar things we know.
And maybe we're thankful for the things
we'll never know. At the end of the day,
the fact that we have the courage to still
be standing is reason enough to celebrate."

"Georgie! Georgie! Georgie!"

Maira groaned as a loud chanting woke her from her slumber. She stirred, sitting up in bed and stretching.

"Georgie! Georgie! Georgie!"

She frowned as the yelling continued, getting louder. "What the hell?"

After climbing out of bed she wrapped herself in a robe, rubbing at her eyes as she opened her bedroom door. A group of round men were coming down the hallway, stopping mid chant as the woman emerged.

"Are you looking for George?"

They all nodded, wide smiles on their faces. She pointed them towards his room and they thanked her before barreling in.

Maira left George to deal with whatever the fuck that was and headed downstairs. Izzie was already in the kitchen and greeted the girl with a smile and a cup of coffee.

"Good morning Mai."

She graciously accepted the mug, sighing in happiness as the sweet taste of caffeine. "Morning. Meredith already sneak out?"

Iz nodded, "I told her to be back for dinner at 6, but we'll see if she shows up."

Maira patted her on the shoulder. "I'm sure she will Izzie, I'm sure everyone will come."

They heard a sudden rumbling sound, and the men from upstairs came barreling down the steps with George. They were all wearing matching camo outfits, and George looked extremely uncomfortable.

"Good morning Georgie."

He gave Mai a glare sharp enough to kill, but the others just smiled. "We're takin' ole Georgie to kill the annual O' Malley turkey! Happy Thanksgiving!"

Maira waved goodbye as they all clambered out of the house, whoops and hollering.

"Be back by 6!" Izzie yelled as George left. She sighed, cracking open her cookbook. "I can do this," she muttered to herself.