01

"To be a good surgeon you have to think
like a surgeon. Emotions are messy. Tuck
them neatly away and step into a clean
sterile room where the procedure is simple.
Cut, suture, and close. But sometimes you're
faced with a cut that won't heal. A cut that
rips its stitches wide open. They say that
practice makes perfect. Theory is–the more
you think like a surgeon, the more you
become one, the better you get at remaining
neutral, clinical, cut, suture, close–the
harder it becomes to turn it off. To stop
thinking like a surgeon, and remember what
it means to think like a human being."

When Maira Grey got the confirmation that she, along with her twin sister Meredith, had been admitted into the internship program at Seattle Grace she was reasonably nervous

When Maira Grey got the confirmation that she, along with her twin sister Meredith, had been admitted into the internship program at Seattle Grace she was reasonably nervous. Maira imagined it'd be a quiet rush of patients, egotistical doctors, hit and misses. She expected great losses and triumphs, zero sleep, and no free time. In the short time since she had been there, all of those assumptions had been absolutely correct. But there was one thing she didn't account for: the drama.

As Maira pulled her sister Meredith away from Seattle Grace Hospital, away from Derek Shepard and his secret wife, she was hit with the feeling of being stuck in a cheesy soap opera. Who knew this internship would be filled with so much scandal?

Maira pushed open the door to Joe's bar, instantly being hit with the strong smells of beer and peanuts. She dragged Mer in behind her, as she was still in a shock silence.

Spotting fellow interns and friends, Cristina Yang and George O'Malley, Maira moved towards the bar to join them. George immediately began ranting about his shitty day and Cristina sipped at a drink that looked suspiciously like water. She didn't acknowledge anyone.

Maira pulled her long hair up into a ponytail, desperate to get the curls off her neck in the hot atmosphere. Joe walked over and gave her a friendly smile, "Drinks?"

"Shots," both of the Grey sisters ordered at the same.

Joe looked between the two of them with wide eyes, "That was creepy. Sometimes I forget how similar the two of you actually are."

As Joe began on the drinks, Mai looked over at her sister. It was true that people often forgot the two of them were actually twins. Mer had straight dirty blonde hair, while her brunette hair tended to curl. And with Mer's eyes being blue and hers brown, the main feature the two of them shared were their noses.

Still, Maira saw the similarities in the way they walked and presented themselves, in their uncanny ability to be thinking the same thing at the same time and unflinching ability to drink more than should be humanly possible.

George interrupted her thinking with a proposal, "Let's play a game of who's day was the shittiest."

Maira snorted, "It's gonna be a quick game. Mer wins."