Prologue

Nine thousand Sumerian soldiers are coming from across the golden dunes. Behind the Sumerians is the massive walled City of Thebes. The Nile runs alongside it.

Six thousand years ago, a fierce warrior known as the Scorpion King, led a great army on a campaign to unite the known world. The Scorpion King and his army were finally defeated by the Sumerians and driven deep into the sacred desert of Ahm Shere.

For three months they wandered the desert, slowly dying, until the Scorpion King himself was the last man left alive.

Alone in the middle of a vast wasteland, the Scorpion King crawls on his hands and knees, then he looks up into the heavens, raises his fist in anger, and bellows a curse.

On death's door, he made a pact with the great god Anubis.

The Scorpion King sees a live scorpion crawling towards him. He looks back up to the heavens and sneers, then grabs the wriggling thing with his bare hands. His face grimaces as it stings him but shoves the scorpion into his mouth and chews.

He swore that if Anubis would spare him, and let him conquer his enemies, that he would give Anubis his soul, and build him a great temple, a pyramid of gold.

Suddenly, in a circle around him, lush green vegetation springs up out of the sand and explodes out in every direction. The Oasis of Ahm Shere.

The next year, the Scorpion King stormed northward with the Army of Anubis. And like a great flood, washed away all that lay before them.

Thousands of hideous Anubis Warriors swarm through the fantastic and sprawling City of Thebes, now in ruins. Buildings burn. Monuments collapse. People scream.

He defeated his enemies, united all of Egypt, became the first Pharaoh, and created a religion that would last for a thousand years.