Chapter 13

(This is where I go almost completely off script :) Brace yourselves!)

Then I see Rick slumped up against the wall of the trawler, wincing and looking really beat to shit. I rush over to him, still clinging to Imhotep and say, "Hold still Rick, I'm going to heal you."

It was several minutes later, and I was happy with my work. I looked in my pouch and pulled out a pain relief potion and said, "One sip, Rick." He nods, took a sip, and we could all tell he felt better.

He then smiles wide and crushes me into a hug, "I am so glad you're here Harri."

Izzy looked amused and said, "O'Connell! You looked like somethin' my cat coughed up! Who the hell you been messin' with this time?"

Rick snorts and says, "Oh, you know, mummies, big bugs, pygmy skeletons...the usual."

It was then everyone turned toward Imhotep and Rick said, "Okay Harri. Mind telling me why we saved immortal mummy over here?"

Everyone looked at me and I said, "I was told by Death to save him. So, I did." I then smiled at Imhotep and said, "And he's become my friend, somehow, along the way."

Alex then piped up, "It's true, dad! He treated me and Harri well while we were gone. He was always nice to me."

I could tell Rick didn't know what to say to that, so Evy continued, "I remember the last moments you two had together all those years ago." She looks hard at Imhotep, "Hurt her, and I'll kill you."

Imhotep just looks amused and says, "As you say."

He then looks at me with questions in his eyes and I said, "We will talk when there are less ears." He nods and looks out over the desert.

Rick gives a slight smile, then he looks out and sees the Medjai battlefield below. A lone rider stands out.

Rick steps up to the railing. Evy, Alex, Jonathan and I come up and flank him. They all look down.

Ardeth Bey sits on a horse. He smiles up at his friends in the sky. And then with an open palm he touches his heart and waves it towards the sun.

Rick salutes him. Evy waves. Then Rick looks at Evy and takes her in his arms and whispers, "I thought I lost you."

Evy looks sad and said, "For a moment there, you did." Then she gives him a sly smile and said, "You want to know what heaven looks like?"

Rick just stares at her, and says, "I already know." He wraps his arms around her, and they kiss. Jonathan and Alex roll their eyes in disgust while I try not to laugh at their reaction.

I look at Imhotep and he watches them with sadness. I grab his hand and squeeze. He stops watching them and gives me a small smile.

Soon, Izzy dropped us off at his station, and I turned to Evy, Rick, Alex, and Jonathan. I smile at them and say, "This is where we part ways, for a time."

They all give me hugs and Alex bravely goes toward Imhotep and says, "Can I hug you goodbye?"

Imhotep kneels down and gently hugs Alex goodbye. The others watch on in shock, and I just smile.

I took Imhotep's hand and said, "We are going now. This will be unpleasant, so I apologize in advance. Also, do not let go." And with a pop, we arrive outside my house.

I hear Imhotep gag and I give him a potion, "I don't know if this will work on you... but hopefully it will make you feel better. One sip please."

He takes a sip, and I can see it working. I'm ecstatic, "Wow! I'm glad it works on you!" I then key him into the wards for the house and we step inside.

His mouth opens and he says, "It's bigger on the inside."

I laugh and say, "Yep. I made it this way. Come, we can relax with some tea in the sitting room."

We sat down, and I had my magic prepare the tea. Imhotep just watches in fascination. I smile once it's done and say, "So..."

Imhotep looks into his cup and says, "She left me..." I was quiet, waiting for him to get everything off his chest, "She left me. Why did she leave me? I loved her. I killed for her." He whispered the last part, "I died for her..."

I was quiet for a time and said, "This was a quote I heard, but 'People do stupid things when they're in love.'" He looked at me with tears in his eyes and I continued, "I believe that you did love her, but that she wanted out of her situation, and you were the easiest way. It's a hard lesson to learn, but I think you'll be a better man for it."

He looked despondent and said, "So what happens now? I can feel my powers are back, but I feel... different."

I felt my wrist where the hallows were etched into my skin and said, "Let me see your wrists." He showed them to me, and it was as I thought. I looked into his dark eyes and said, "You have been marked by Death." His eyes widen and I smirked. I then showed him mine and continued, "It has chosen you as another successor. It's a great honor, or so I'm told. You are not the undead anymore. You are but a man who has an immortal life span, now."

He sighed, and looked at me, "At least we are not alone."

I smiled back and said, "At least there is that..." I then looked at the time and said, "Well. Let's get you settled in. I have a room prepared for you, and you can freshen up. Let me know your likes and dislikes for clothes and I'll get you some."

I got up and was stopped by his hand holding mine. I looked at him and he said, "I do not deserve you."

I smiled slyly and said, "That's my decision, is it not?"