Chapter 14

I was several days later when I felt the breach in my wards letting me know that Luna, Ardeth and her children arrived. I went to Imhotep's rooms and knocked. He opened it and I said, "My sister is here. You can come down and say hello if you want."

He gave me a stiff nod and shut the door. I then went to the front door just as it opened and I heard Luna's dreamy voice, "Harri! How's married life?"

I laughed and said, "I wouldn't know Loons." I then immediately held out my hands and said, "Gimmie that precious child, I want to coo and blubber at him."

She laughed, and soon I had my arms full of baby. I was nuzzling him when I looked between Ardeth and Luna. Luna looked as she always did, but Ardeth looked stiff. I said, "You tell him Luna?"

Luna nodded and said, "He knows. Doesn't like it, but he knows."

I heard a cough from behind me and I turned and beamed at Imhotep. I said, "Look at this beautiful boy! Isn't he precious?"

I could see Ardeth was even more stiff from before, but Imhotep ignored him and walked closer, inspecting the baby. He then looked at me with an unnamed emotion in his eyes. He nodded and said, "You are right. He's beautiful."

Luna then said airily, "You want to hold him?"

I could see Ardeth was shocked, and Imhotep looked uncomfortable and said, "I have never held a child before."

Luna takes her son from me and plops him in Imhotep's arms and says, "Well. There's no time like the present."

I laughed at his panicked face. I looked to Ardeth, and he still looked shocked. He was awkward for a few moments before relaxing with the baby. He finally said, "He's so light."

I smiled and said, "Well. He's small." I then noticed him rooting and took him gently and placed him in Luna's arms again, "He's hungry. Go feed him and then meet us in the parlor."

She nodded and left. Ardeth, his daughter, Imhotep and I all walk into the parlor where hot tea and cookies were waiting.

The little girl squeals and said, "'ookies!"

I laughed and said, "That they are, dear girl." I looked to Ardeth and said, "Can she have some?"

He looked into his daughter's pleading eyes, and I knew he couldn't say no. He nodded, and I poured her some tea and gave her a cookie.

It was silent for a moment when Ardeth said, "So...you're here to stay?"

Imhotep nodded and said, "I am... different now. Not undead. I will stay as long as Ohh-Saht will have me."

I sighed, "How many times will I have to tell you, it's Harri."

Imhotep smiled slyly and said, "At least once more."

I sighed in mock irritation and looked to Ardeth, "Can you believe his lip?" Ardeth just kept looking between us, back and forth, in confusion. I finally said, "Spit it out."

Ardeth huffed and said, "He is no longer undead... then what is he?"

I shrugged and said, "More like me. Immortal, but still alive. No mummy insides!"

Ardeth looked shocked and said, "Truly?"

I nodded and said, "Yup. Death gave him a second chance. Pretty cool huh?"

Ardeth looked confused and said, "I do not understand. He is not cold?"

I sighed, "Remind me to tell Luna to get you up on 21st century lingo."