Chapter 1

Egypt: 1935

It was nighttime, and it was peaceful. It had been several years since that fateful day, and I still cannot get it out of my head.

I hear someone behind me, "Harri... it is time."

I look behind me to see Luna, and her newborn, a boy. Both of her children were beautiful, and I could tell that the eldest had magic. I sighed and said, "For what?"

Luna looks out into the night and says, "He's coming back."

I stopped. No. It couldn't be. "How?"

She just shrugs and says, "All I know is that you need to go to the O'Connells. Their son will need you in the weeks to come."

I was worried. I loved that little boy, "Is he not safe with them?"

She shook her head and said, "Someone will take him. You are to go with them. With you there, he will be safe, and events will unfold that would be in your best interest."

I sighed, "Why does this always happen to me?"

Another voice joins and says, "I know what you mean."

I smirk at Ardeth and said, "Isn't this supposed to be your job?"

He just laughs and says, "We can't always stop everything."

I jab him in the chest playfully and said, "This will be twice now..." He just grimaces at my jest. I look back over at Luna and gently touch her child's face, "You will stay here? Safe?"

She nods and says, "You will have no need of me this time. My place is here."

I nodded, grateful. No more parents needed to die. I looked at Ardeth and said, "Ready to go greet them?"

He looks green and I just laugh. I took his arm, and with a pop we arrived at the O'Connell's mansion.

I noticed that there was a commotion going on inside and said, "You first? Or shall I?"

He bowed with humor and said, "Ladies first."

I snickered and came upon a crazy scene. There are several men in turbans surrounding Eve and Alex, and one seemed to be the leader.

He looked grim and said, "Give me the chest."

I see Evy turn around and pull a sword down from the wall and grit out, "Oh, I'll give you something all right."

Alex looks shocked and says, "Whoa, mum, maybe not the best idea."

The leader looks murderous, "Then we will kill you... then take the chest."

I step out from where I was hiding, Ardeth behind me, and say loudly and clearly, "I think not."

The leader spins around and looks at us. He seems to know Ardeth, and I see a hint of fear when his gaze lands on me. I give him a feral grin in return and both of us glide over to where Eve and Alex are standing.

I gave Eve a look and said, "I hope you don't mind, we let ourselves in."

Eve gives Ardeth a look and says, "Ardeth?" She then looks at me and says, "What's going on Harri?"

I shrug and say, "I don't rightly know. I just know that Luna told me to be here, and here I am. Ardeth and I just couldn't stay away. She says hi by the way."

Eve cracks a smile and Alex grins, "I'm glad you're here, Harri."

We all go back to looking at the intruders and the leader says, "Ardeth Bey."

Ardeth nods and says, "Lock-Nah."

Lock-Nah and his men charge forward. Ardeth Bey and Evy parry their blows, while I guard Alex. No one was getting to this boy. Ardeth Bey takes on Lock-Nah and another guy, while amazingly, Evy goes sword-to-sword with the other two, lunging, thrusting, feinting and parrying like a pro.

Alex and I dodge out of the way with the chest, and I can see he can't believe it, "Wow mum! When did you learn to do that?"

I was wondering the same thing. I could see the confusion on Eve's face, and she says, "I have no idea."

One of the turbans slams Evy up against a wall. He leans forward and laughs with rotted yellow teeth. Evy cringes, then knees him in the balls. He screams and bends over and then she knees him in the face. He yelps and pops back up and she decks him with a right hook. He goes down and out.

She looks proud and said, "That, I learned from your father." Just then, another Turban charges forward and Eve parries and feints.

The library is getting trashed as the battle rages. Still holding the chest, Alex slams his body against a bookshelf, and it topples over and crushes one of the turban guys. I give a high five and we both smile.

Another guy runs up and tries to grab a handle on the chest, but I blast him away with a bombarda. I look at Alex and said, "No one will touch you. Not with me here." He hugs me, grateful.

Ardeth leaps over and skewers the man quickly then yells at Evy as Lock-Nah attacks him, "What's in the chest?!"

Evy knock another turban guy into a big glass case which topples over and smashes to smithereens. She yells back, "A bracelet! Belonging to the Scorpion King!"

I roll my eyes and say, "It's always something. First, it's a book, now it's a bracelet."

Ardeth just looks shocked and says, "You have the bracelet?! Get it! Get it now and get out of here!"

Evy just looks shocked and said, "But—"

Ardeth ignores her and says, "Now! They must not get the bracelet!"

Evy drops her sword and rushes to us and picks up the chest. And that's when a huge man wearing a red turban roars out of the shadows, scoops Evy up and tears through a side curtain. This distracts Ardath long enough for Lock-Nah to slice him across the arm. Ardath tumbles back over a display case.

Then LockNah sees Alex sitting up against a far wall. He throws his scimitar. It whips end-over-end across the room. I put up a shield and it stops it. Lock-Nah looks at me in fear, and races out through the curtains.