Chapter 10

We met Eve and Jon while running toward the temple, and I filled them in. We're racing through the jungle. The horrific sound of pygmy skeletons following us fills the air. We look back and see a huge horde chasing after us.

Evy throws her rifle away. So does Jonathan; everyone trying to run faster. Rick spots the tip of the gold pyramid. We're closer now, maybe only a mile away. We race out across a huge log spanning a deep ravine. On the other side, Rick skids to a stop, frisks himself and pulls out a lone stick of dynamite.

The pygmy skeletons start to race across the log. Rick lights the fuse an inch from the dynamite, then tosses it to the first skeleton and runs like hell. The pygmy skeleton grabs the dynamite. The dynamite explodes the log, and the skeletons are blown apart.

Rick runs up to us, we're all breathing hard, saying, "Okay. I think we made it."

I laughed and said, "You always have at least one stick of dynamite on you, Rick."

And that's when another horde of the hideous pygmy skeletons sprint out and form a blockade in front of us.

There is a long pause, and then one of the pygmy skeletons races straight at Alex, hissing horribly, spear in hand. Alex holds up his hands to defend himself.

The pygmy skeleton skids to a stop, hissing in fear, he backs away.

Alex sees that it was the bracelet on his wrist that did it. He holds up his wrist to show all the pygmies and they all hiss in fear, then they back away and vanish into the jungle.

Rick, Evy and Jonathan are shocked and relieved. Alex grabs Rick's arm and starts tugging him forward. They quickly look off towards the surrounding mountains. The sun was just about to crest the east face.

I see all the pygmies still watching us in the foliage and I said, without looking back, "Take Alex and run. I got this." Evy wanted to protest, but Rick, with Alex in his arms, took her and ran. Jonathan followed.

The pygmies looked at me eagerly and I unwound my magic from my core, my wand at the ready and said, my eyes glowing, "Come here, my pretties."

***

When I had taken care of the Pygmies, I ran toward the temple, hoping that I wasn't too late. I saw Alex slumped over, with Jonathan standing there looking dazed, and I immediately rushed over to them.

I saw that he was slumped over Evy, and I came to a stop and said, "What happened?"

Alex, still crying, said, "Anck-su-namun killed mum!"

I was livid, and I gritted out, "What?"

Jonathan nodded, and said hollowly, "It's true."

I looked around and said, "Where's Rick?"

Jonathan nodded toward the temple and said, "In there." He then looks at Alex and places a hand on his head, "Try and... try and think of it like this, Alex. She's...she's in a better place. Like the good book says—"

Alex then stands up quickly, his face beaming, "That's it! THAT'S IT!"

Jonathan and I looked confused and I say, "What's it?"

He looks at me and says, "Come on Harri, Uncle Jon. I have an idea!"

***

I have Evy's body floating behind us, and Jonathan says, "You realize of course that it can only be done by someone who can actually read Ancient Egyptian. I don't know about you, but I'm a tad rusty. "

I give him a deadpan look and say, "What am I, chopped liver?"

Jon's eyes widen and he looks sheepish, "I'm sorry. I forgot."

We get to a fork and Alex says, "Go left."

Jonathan looks confused and says, "How do you know?"

Alex pointed to the hieroglyphs and said, "Iman kasheesh ifran Osirian nye. Basically, this way to the Scorpion King". He then looked down and said, "Mum taught me."

We head around the corner and spot Anck-su-namun. I was going to head up there, but Jonathan stopped me and said with repressed anger, "No. This is my time."

I just grinned like a loon and watched him go up to her, his arms raised to fight, saying, "Come and get it, you wench!" Anck-su-namun smirks, then sets the book down and strides forward. Jonathan starts to bob and weave, and takes a deep breath and says, "This is for my sister."

I disillusioned Alex, and he snuck up behind them and stole the book. He scurries back here, and we quickly opened the book to the right passage. Anck-su-namun wheels around with a roundhouse kick and knocks Jonathan back into a statue. Jonathan grabs a spear and Anck-su-namun grabs an ax. She moves in for the kill, and Jonathan desperately backs away.

Alex and I find the right passage and I read, "Hootash naraba oos Veesloo. Ahm kum Ra. Ahm kum Dei." I look up to see Anck-su-namun slice Jonathan across the chest. He cries out. I hurriedly read the next passage, "Efday Shokran ahmenophus!"

Suddenly a bright light envelopes Evy, and we see her take a breath. She opens her eyes, and looks at Alex and I, and beams. She sits up, and notices Jonathan and Anck-su-namun, and her eyes turn to slits.

She then says to us, while never taking her eyes of Anck-su-namun, "Go and help your father, Alex. Harri, watch over my boys."

I grin and say, "With pleasure."