Chapter 1

7 years after being captured 

Scarlett

I wake up with a start, still scared from my nightmare, and crawl into the corner of my cell. 

They leave me in the dark until they decide to come beat me, whip me, or force me to fight rogues. 

I look around the dark room, that I have become so accustomed to, there is only a rusted toilet, a metal bed, and a sink. The cell is small, but it is the only place I feel safe in this miserable facility. 

I hear the door open down the hall and I know they're coming for me. I begin to shake with fear. I don't know what to expect, I can only hope master is not in a bad mood. 

I snap out of my thoughts when I see master at the front of my cell. 

"Get up" he yells. I immediately jump up, wincing because of the bruises and cuts all over my body from my previous beatings. 

"Today, you will be fighting 15" He tells me. This was his favorite form of 'training'. "and if you lose, that boy will take your punishment." I knew instantly who he was referring to. Mica. 

As I walk into the training room, I see my only friend, Mica. He is 13, so 2 years younger than me. He is the only one close to my age, that I know of, and is the only one who is nice to me. He is the son of one of the guards and is used for chores. He sometimes sneaks to talk to me and bring me extra food. 

He looks terrified. I know that I can't lose. I can't let them take the only person left that I care about. 

I enter the fighting ring and gape at the 15 giant men that I have to fight. The most I have ever fought was 10. I can only hope my years of training will pay off. 

The fight begins and I quickly take down 10 of the men. They have managed to get a few hits on me, but not many. I am highly trained, so it is rare that they landed any hits. 

I take down the next nine quickly, using my small size to my advantage. I see the last guy in my sights but I become distracted when I see Mica crying and a guard slap him. I instantly change my course and start running to Mica. 

As soon as I did it, I knew it was careless. The only way to end Mica's pain was to win the fight. 

I am hit so hard from behind that I am struggling to breathe. I am being crushed and taking blow after blow to my face, as the giant man punches me over and over again. I am nearing unconsciousness, when I hear master yell "enough!" 

I am still laying on the floor, the whole world spinning around me. Master beings to speak "I informed you that the boy would be taking your punishment for losing" Hearing this I instantly regain control of myself, terrified of what's to come.  

I can't let my only friend take my punishment. I begin to scream, begging Master to not hurt him. 

"You brought this on him, not me" he tells me. "Bring the boy." Two men drag Mica to the center of the ring. 

"Mica, I'm so sorry. PLEASE. I'M BEGGING YOU DON'T" I yell through sobs. 

"Enough! You must be punished for your failures." "Hold her down."

I am instantly grabbed by guards. I see master grab a knife "NO!" I scream as Master stabs it into mica's heart. 

I can feel the last bits of my heart crumble before my eyes, as my world finally falls apart beyond repair. 

My body begins to shake and I am blinded by pain. I can feel all of my bones shaking and hair sprouting from my skin. 

I know I am shifting. 

The pain is unimaginable, werewolves do not usually shift until they are 16, so this being a forced shift is excruciatingly painful. 

The pain finally subsides and I begin to look around and see the guards with fear-stricken faces. My gaze lands on the lifeless body of my dear friend Mica and all hell breaks loose. 

I begin to tear through everyone in my sight, until I reach what looks to be the exit. I run through the door and enter the dense forest, not turning back to see if they were chasing me.