Chapter 4

Scarlett

I did not make it far into the forest before I begin to hear wolves chasing me. "just great" I internally grown. 

I push myself faster, but the wolves are catching up.  I realize I am going to have to stop and fight. I halt and am immediately surrounded by four members of the Silverlake pack. I shift back, because I fight best in human form. 

"Is someone missing their wittle-baby beta" I tease. They answer with loud growls and begin to lunge at me. I begin to fight them, easily. 

I could tell that they were well trained, but I was better. I had taken down three of the four, but the fourth appears to have called in reinforcements, because I now hear at least 5 more wolves running our way. I decide the best way out is to run. I quickly shift and begin to run. 

I am a quick runner, but so are the members of the Silverlake Pack. They are right on my heals and I know I need to think quick to get away from them. 

I can sense the ending of Garrison Pack's land and the beginning of someone else's land. I quickly step over the territory line, knowing that the pack's border patrol will come and stop the commotion, and I will use that to slip away. 

I need to buy myself some time, so I sprint to lose the wolves and scramble up the biggest tree I see. I quickly calm my breathing and slow my heart rate, so I am undetectable. 

The territory that I stepped into must have well-trained patrols, because I can hear them running to the scene. I peek out of the tree to see the Silverlake wolves awaiting the arrival of the border patrol. 

Five new wolves come into view. The leader, from what I can sense is their beta, shifts back to human form. I was slightly taken aback by how handsome the man was. He was tall and lean, but very muscular, with beautiful dark skin and short dark hair. "State your business, now." He demands to the Silverlake wolves. 

"We were chasing a woman. She escaped the Garrison Pack lands. We believe she murdered our beta." One of the wolves stated.

"I see no woman." The Beta says looking around. 

"We lost her just after she stepped on your lands. We believe she still may be on your territory." He says slightly nervous. "Can we have your permission to search you lands?" He asks tentatively. 

I was surprised he even asked, there is no way this pack would allow unknown wolves to roam their land. 

"I will call my alpha and he will discuss this matter with you." The beta tells the man. 

"Well, this will be a little more difficult."  I say internally to Ares. 

"Yes, I am not sure why you thought this was the best move." Ares says in a duh tone. 

"There was not really a better option and you did not protest when I made the move."  I answer  back. I cut off our conversation when I hear what I can only assume to be the alpha running in our direction. I start to smell the most heavenly scent, like a rainstorm and the ocean. 

"Mate" I hear Ares chanting