Chapter 12

Scarlett

I glance at the clock, 11:35 pm. I am leaving at midnight. 

After the encounter  with my mate, I packed all my things and prepared to run. I have been sitting on the bed for a couple of hours now waiting for the time. 

I have never felt worse pain in my life, betrayal so raw. The one person who was supposedly able to fix me, delivered the fatal strike. 

I have not heard from Ares since the encounter. I know that I must remain strong. I have to build back up the walls that my mate just leveled with one action. Master's words have been echoing in my head, tempting me. 

"Turn it off" 

"Turn it off" 

"Turn it off"

He used to tell me this when I would be in pain or cry. He taught me that emotions and feelings are a weakness. A sickness, that is used as a deadly weapon, and it turns out he was right. 

When Mica was killed before my eyes, I wanted to go back to my emotionless state, but Ares convinced me that I needed to mourn and celebrate Mica to keep his memory alive. I listened then, but this was different. This time I was truly beyond repair. 

With one last tear, I succumbed to Master's wish. I could feel the pain dwindling to nothing and the serene, deadly, calm washing over my body as the clock strikes midnight. 

An evil grin stretches over my face as I rise and collect my bag. 

... 

Making it out of the pack house was easy. 

Nothing was really keeping me here except for Ares's wish for me to stay, but now we had no reason to be here. Chase believed I was staying because "the Silverlake Pack would have my head." blah, blah, blah.  As if, I could've left at any time and no-one could've stopped me. 

I have been watching the guards patrolling patterns and the best way to exit would be from the north side. So, that's exactly where I'm heading. 

I made quick work and am about to make it to the border when I caught a familiar scent. No, it can't be. 

I quickly turn and begin to follow the scent until I reach a structure. Their prison. 

There are no guards that I can see guarding the outside, but I can smell the one that is somewhere beyond the door. 

I will not believe it until I see it. I must go inside. 

I begin to throw rocks as far away as I could, to draw the guard in the other direction. After my fourth rock, the guard finally comes scrambling out of the prison entrance. He runs to investigate, as I slip in behind him. I was not a well known assassin for nothing. 

The prison was now empty except for the familiar scent. I follow it until I reach my destination. I peer in and freeze when my eyes land upon the man that I feel eternal guilt towards. 

"Mica..." I breath out barely able to speak. He just looks at me, barely able to lift his head. 

"What have they done to you? How is this possible? I watched you die." My head is swarming. The questions barely leaving my mouth before another pops up. He looks at me with pleading eyes. It is obvious that they have not been treating him kindly. 

"I have to get you out of here." I state was determination. 

I find the keys to his cells on the far wall and rush to unlock the door. The door is made out of silver but I felt nothing. 

Carrying most of Mica's weight was not an easy task. I was strong but he was much larger than the last time I saw him. 

"Scarlett... I can't believe I found you." He rasps out. 

"I can't believe you're real." I tell him. My indestructible walls once again threatening to break. "I am so sorry. I thought you were dead..." I tell him trying to hold back my tears. 

"I almost was, but he missed my heart so I healed." he says through pants. He was injured badly and probably starved and dehydrated. His injuries looked bad, and he was bleed profusely. "They threw me out like trash, but I lived, and immediately went looking for you."

"I-I am so sorry. I-" I cut off by a guttural growl. oh no. I had been so caught up in the reunion with Mica, I completely forgot I was escaping from Chase and that I now carry a runaway prisoner. 

The guard from the prison must've told Chase that Mica was gone and he must've noticed I was missing. 

Seconds after the growl we're surrounded by Chase's guards and himself.  He looks furious. Most of the guards are in human form, two are in wolf form. Chase is in human form and he looks pissed. 

"Scarlett, what are you doing with the prisoner and why are you touching him." He is more pissed than I've ever seen him before. I begin to look at Mica's arm hung loosely over my shoulders, when something snaps into place in my mind and I am flooded with anger.  

"I asked you if there was a man in the field after the fight." My voice came out deadlier than I could've possibly imagined. Chase instantly recognized what I meant because he noticeably flinched and shame was swirling in his eyes. 

"Scarlett-" He started to say but I cut him off.

"And you told me there was no man." I was beyond furious, but what I didn't expect to feel was the extreme dread and hurt. 

"Scarlett I-" He tries again.

"NO! there is no forgiving this..." My voice trails off at the end as my world is collapsing before my eyes. 

"Scarlett, please listen-" 

"Enough!" I bellow, cutting him off once more. "Scarlett is dead. My name is Scar." There are many gasps when I reveal my alias. "We are leaving." 

I start to turn to continue to walk but am stopped by another guttural growl. "I can't let you go Scarlett! Please. You're my mate. I need you. The pack needs you."  

His words should make me feel better, but they don't. I am too far gone at this point. I needed to get away and there is no way I'm leaving Mica behind again. 

I pull out the silver knife that had stashed and held it to my throat. The air seemed to leave the area as everyone held their breath. Some let out low growls at the thought of something happening to their luna. I just rolled my eyes. 

"You will let us leave or I will do it." I say while studying the emotions on my mate's face. His expression is filled with horror, pain, and regret. 

"I-I can't Scarlett..." He is stumbling over words and as I dig the knife in my throat deeper drawing some blood, he falls to his knees and tears start to fall from his eyes. 

"Please Scarlett... I love you. I didn't mean it. I am so sorry." I am so stunned by his words I am frozen and the knife comes further from my neck. His face visibly relaxes some at the knife being moved away slightly. 

"Please" He continues to beg. "your friend can stay as well. Just please stay." His tears continue to fall. "Please... give me another chance."  

I am so shocked than an Alpha was on his knees begging for my forgiveness, that I am at a loss for words. But I do not get the chance to answer before Mica collapses in my arms. I cannot hold his weight and begin to try to lower him to the ground. 

"no. no. no. no." I begin to plead. "No! Please Mica." I look to Chase who is now standing looking concerned. "Please... help him." I beg Chase and his pack mates

"Get the pack doctor." Chase demands