Chapter 10

Scarlett 

"You couldn't at least let her get one hit on you?" Ares scolds in my mind. I am currently wandering around the forest after the show I just put on for the whole pack. 

"She was the easiest person i've ever fought. It would have been more difficult to let her hit me." I laugh at Ares's displeasure. "Besides, I thought you would be happy that we probably made Chase proud." 

"First, mate was definitely proud and second, you just shamed his poor pack." 

"Oh please, as if I care. They should be trained better, that's not my fault." I scoff but our conversation is cut short when I caught the scent of something familiar. I couldn't place the scent but sniffing again I realized the scent wasn't alone. Rouges

I started to run after the scent. There has to be at least twenty of them but I still can't place the familiar scent. 

When I reach the scene it is an absolute blood bath. The pack members are very outnumbered. They must've been ambushed while on boarder patrol. I immediately shift into my wolf and help the pack fight. 

I take down four of the rouges but one bit a chunk out of my shoulder. I can't feel the pain, but I am bleeding like crazy. The other warriors are not looking any better. There are still seven rouges and four out of the five pack members have been knocked out. It is only me and one other wolf left to fight off the remaining. 

My vision is starting to cloud over as I fight. My wounds are bleeding immensely. I look around and a rush of dread fills me, realizing that we will surely die. I am snapped out of my defeated thoughts by a thundering growl. Chase. 

Chase immediately leaps over me and kills the rouge who I was fighting. The other warriors start fighting to finish the other rouges, while Chase runs to me and shifts back. 

"Are you ok?" he asks concern filling his voice. "You're bleeding so much, baby." He is scanning over my wolf trying to asses my injuries, but I am too focused on trying to stay conscious. 

"Alpha, the rouges are dealt with. We have two dead and two unconscious." One of the warriors tells Chase. I look around to see more wolves running up. I need to shift back I am growing too weak. I shift back and stand weakly. I hear many gasps when my scarred body is unveiled, but that is the least of my worries. As I collapse to the ground I hear Chase yell for the pack doctor. 

Just before I lose consciousness I catch the scent again, but this time there is a figure to go with the scent. No, it can't be. He's dead. I watched him die. 

"Scarlett" I hear him say as he stumbles out of the shadows. 

"Mica?" I whisper before I am consumed by darkness.

...

Chase

"Mica?" I hear my mate whisper before her eyes close. I growl menacingly. 

"Where is the doctor!" I yell as I finally see the pack doctor running up. I am gazing at her unconscious form. She has more scars than I have ever seen on a persons body. She was beautiful nonetheless, but I still wanted to kill whoever did that to her. 

"Alpha, we need to move her to the infirmary." I nod before picking her up and going with them to the hospital. 

...

"She has been asleep for two days! That is not normal!" I yell at the doctor. I don't mean to yell but I just want my mate back. 

"She will wake up shortly, Alpha, but she suffered a lot of blood-loss. She had to have time to heal." 

I was about to yell at the pack doctor some more, as if that would help anything, when my Beta, Erin, mindlinks me telling me the rogue we captured is awake. I decide I will visit him to get some answers as to how he knows my mate. Besides, I need to blow off some steam and what better way than to interrogate someone. 

The walk to the cells is quiet. My mind keeps flashing back to all of the scars that are on Scarlett's body. She must've been tortured for years to have that many scars. The thoughts alone have me fuming. It doesn't help that my mate is still unconscious and I haven't slept since she got hurt. All of my pack members have been staying as far away from me as they can get. The only people that come near me are Erin and Turner, but even they are hesitant. 

Arriving at the cells the stench alone is enough to make you cringe. The smell of blood and piss is pungent. I make my way over to the cell that Erin and another guard are standing outside of. 

"Have you gotten any information from him?" I ask Erin as I grimace looking at the man's beat up face. Erin just shakes his head in response. 

"How do you know Scarlett?" I shout so he can hear me. He just raises his bloody face and stares at me. "Answer me now, next time I won't ask nicely." I demand

"S-she is a-an old f-friend." He finally chokes out. I was about to ask what the fuck that meant but I got mindlink from the doctor telling me Scarlett was awake. I raced to the hospital, aching to see my little mate. 

...

Scarlett 

I wake with a start, only to be met with the cold and blank walls of the hospital. The events of the fight starting to come back to me. I wince at the thought of everyone seeing my scars. Wait- Mica. 

There is no way I saw Mica. He is dead. I watched him die. Master murdered him. 

"Hi Luna, are you feeling alright?" The doctor asked me as she walked in the room. I don't approve of her choice of title but I will let it slide. 

She was a kind looking women, probably in her late forties. She is giving me the warmest smile I have ever seen. It reminds me of my mother's lovely smile. 

"Yes, I am feeling fine. Thank you." I tell her trying to return her kindness. "Do you know where Chase is?" I need to ask him about Mica, I have to know if I was imagining it or not. 

"He should be arriving any-" she says as the door is thrown open and Chase rushes in. "second." she finishes with a laugh, before exiting the room. 

"Scarlett, you're ok." He says more to himself than me. "I am so sorry this happened. I should've been there sooner." If I don't stop him he's going to ramble forever.

"It was not your fault and I am fine." I tell him honestly. "I wanted to ask you though" I pause for a second to assess his features. He looks so worn out. He has deep, dark, bags under his eyes and his hair is ruffled from him running his fingers through it. "Did you find a man at the fight?- one named Mica?" I asked him tentatively, trying to gauge his reaction. I saw an unreadable emotion cross his eyes before it was quickly gone. 

"No, there was no man."