14

Y/N's POV:
Aaron was right; the two months passed quicker than I could've ever imagined. This  morning was my first day back in the field. 

I looked down at my phone. J.J had warned me that there would be a case today, and had just sent over the electronic files. I quickly hooked up my phone to the printer and watched as the gruesome pictures piled up. I sighed and stood up to make myself a much needed cup of coffee. My phone then screamed at me from across the room. I briskly went to pick it up, smiling once I saw Hotch's picture light up the small screen.

"Hey, you." I said, putting the phone in between my shoulder and ear as I continued to get ready.
"How are you doing?" He asked seriously. I let out a small laugh. Hotch had been there for me every step of my recovery. When I was still limited to my apartment, he and Jack visited every chance they had. He insisted on driving me to every physical and physiological therapy session, and would wait in the car for hours so he could drive me home. Once I returned the office, he did his best to make me feel included, and kept the amount of desk work I would have to do to a minimum. He had done everything but take me on a promised date. Now that I was officially at 100%, cleared by every sort of physician, I hoped he would ask. 

"As hospitable Garcia has been, I am thrilled to be out of that depressing little hole and back on the field." I paused, thinking. I had found myself hoping for an exciting case to work on. By extension, I was hoping for a serial killer to go around murdering innocent people. "A little too thrilled, probably." I added. He gave me a small, but stressed, chuckle.
"Well, I'm thrilled too." He said quietly. The quiet noise of him shuffling through papers traveled over the phone.
"Are you already at the office?" I asked.
"Yes. Just catching up on some paperwork." I was about to tease him about being a workaholic when I heard a phone ring. "I have to go. See you when you get in?" 
"Bye." I said, hanging up. I quickly finished getting ready, and knocked on the guest room door. 

Jackson had resumed his position of a father figure in my life. He had begged me to stay in California with him, and when I refused, he moved to D.C. He had stayed home with me initially, but got a job and insisted paying half the rent once I went back to work. I don't know the specifics, but he worked at some bar or restaurant. Every morning, I woke him up and we shared a small breakfast. It was a ritual from my childhood that he was happy to continue. 

"Do you know where you're going?" The older man asked from behind his oatmeal. 
"Some suburb in New York." I nodded to the files. I had barely begun to look them over. 
"And you're sure you're ready for this?" He asked, a worried look on his face. 
"Jackson, I'm fine." I state. I was getting sick of being asked if I was okay. He threw his hands up in defeat. I began to rinse out my bowl when a loud and repetitive car begins honking outside my apartment. From the window, I can see Derek and Penelope waving up at me. I let out a scoff at my eager friends. After kissing Jackson on the head as a goodbye, I run down the stairs. 

"(your nickname)!!" Penelope greeted as I climbed into Morgan's large car. 
"Hey mamas." He said, leaning across the dash to kiss me on the head.
"We missed you." Garcia said cheerfully, handing me some sweet drink.
"Missed me? I saw you yesterday twerp." I rolled my eyes, laughing.
"No, we saw Agent Y/N, desk agent. Today we're seeing Agent Y/N, badass field agent!" She retorted. 

We walked into the office to see the rest of the team already in the conference room. Garcia ran ahead of us, cursing herself for forgetting about her presentation. Morgan and I exchanged a laugh before taking our seats.

"My favorite Behavioral Analysis Unit has been called out to Loudonville, New York." Garcia pulled up pictures of three different victims. All had been impaled in several places and shot execution style in the temple. "Local police have just deemed this grossness to be the work of a serial killer."