26

"Beth?" I repeated, looking between Aaron and the woman. The distant look on both of their faces took me a moment to read, but when I did I gasped.

An ex-girlfriend.

I do not know the protocol for dealing with former partners. Is this because I've never had a boyfriend, and all my knowledge of relationships come from 90s rom-coms? Probably.

There was also the element of age. If I went walking with Beth and Aaron, passerby's would assume I was their daughter. I don't know how to communicate with her- and Julia Robert's movies are only so helpful.

"I'm Y/N." I finally say after a minute of awkward silence. I stick out my hand, and after a moment of hesitation, she takes it. It falls silent once again.

"So, Beth." I began awkwardly. "Did you know Beth means oath of God?" I mentally kicked myself.

"Really?" She said politely, glad that some conversation was happening.

"No." I say softly. "I mean it could. I don't know, I made it up. But do you know who would? A friend of mine. I'm going to call him right now, and I will ask." I awkwardly ramble before turning. Aaron was right behind me. He looked at me puzzled, and I shrugged my shoulders.

I walk off and duck behind the kitchen wall, eavesdropping. I reach up and grab my phone off the counter. My fingers moving like the speed of light, I dial Derek.

"Hey mamas, what's up?" He answers right away. Thats when I realize a massive flaw in my plan- Derek doesn't know about me and Aaron. I heard Beth laugh. I resolved to tell Derek.

"Shh." I whisper. "Eavesdrop with me."

"Y/N? Are you okay?"

"Shush!" He laughs and pipes down. I put him on hold and dial Aaron's home phone. I put Derek back on the call, picked up the telephone, and slid the cellphone over to where Aaron and Beth was standing.

"She's pretty." Beth said quickly. Derek muttered "Damn straight." I told him to shut up.

"She is." Aaron said.

"Is that-" Derek began before I promptly shushed him.

"Why are you here?" Aaron asked, not rudely.

"Well, the company I worked for went belly-up. I got a job in D.C. I was thinking-"

"I'm with Y/N." He cut her off, but his tone was gentle. I heard Derek stutter in shock.

"Oh." That's all Beth said. Derek began ranting into the phone, loud enough so Beth and Aaron could hear. I quickly ran across the room, picked up the phone and hung up.

"Hi." I said awkwardly. "So Reid doesn't know what Beth means." They both looked at me in confusion.
"You guys hungry?" I add on.

"No, I think I'll be going." She nodded towards me before whispering something to Aaron. He didn't reply. However, the minute he shut the door, he burst out laughing. His giggles were contagious and I soon joined chuckling myself.

"What?" I demanded, still laughing.

"Did you know Beth means oath of God?" He mocked. I slugged him in the gut. He picked me up and threw me on the couch, tickling me the entire way. I playfully squirmed. If I wanted to get out of his grip, God knows I could. He also knows that was the last thing I wanted to do.

"Ooof." I groaned as he collapsed on me. I fiddled with his hair, enjoying the intimate moment. We sat there for a moment before my curiosity got the best of me.

"What did she whisper?" I asked, hoping it wasn't private.

"Beth?" He asked. I nodded my head up and down even though he couldn't see. He figured my answer, and continued.

"Nothing important." He said quickly. It didn't take a profiler to know he wanted to switch the subject.

But it would take a profiler to figure out why.