25

The smell of waffles and loud whispers woke me up the next morning. My eyes opened to reveal Aaron's large living room. As I sat up, a thick blanket fell off my shoulders. I immediately shivered; Aaron kept his A.C on constantly.

Despite the overwhelming urge to hide under the warm covers, I pushed myself up on the small sofa. As I did, I noticed a sticky note on top of my phone.

"Director found out BAU worked overtime. Off until Morgan can return to the field. Sleep in. Making breakfast for Jack :)"

I grinned at the little smiley face Jack had drawn at the end of the note. The serotonin burst was enough to get me off the couch. I gently pressed on the kitchen door. I was greeted with a hollering Jack. Aaron was burning some pancakes.

"Jack, Ms. Y/N is still sleeping. Keep quiet-" He stopped when he saw me. I tried to hold in my giggles, but a snicker managed to escape as I saw him in a personalized apron. There was a photograph of Haley and Jack on the top portion, and the bottom was a scribbled drawing of the picture. That was sweet, but the girlish sleeves and puffy skirt were quite hilarious.

"I, uh, like the outfit," I said as I picked up a snuggly Jack. He looped his arms around my neck and rested his head on my shoulder. Aaron chuckled as he slipped the bib off. He abandoned the ruined breakfast and joined the hug. He kissed me on the temple and smoothed down Jack's messy hair.

"How does I-Hop sound?" He asked. Both Jack and I perked up. Who could say no to I-Hop?

I settled into the front seat of Aaron's personal car. He had a large Ford Hybrid that just seemed to suit him. Of course, the vehicle was perfectly clean. Even the backseat had an organizational container for Jack's action figures, coloring books, and tissues.

The second the boy was buckled into his booster seat, sounds of play-explosion sounds could be heard. That gave the grown-ups privacy for a conversation of our own.

"Did you get any news about Derek?" I asked quietly. Based on the note Aaron left, it sounded like he was going to make a full recovery.

"He had surgery. No complications." He glanced over at me before pulling out of the garage. "You saved his life."

"And Gideon?" I ignored the last part, not knowing how to accept the compliment.

"He's older, so complications were imminent." He said slowly. This concerned me.

"And?" I probed.

"Medically induced coma. He should recover within a year or two." I let out a sigh of relief.

"And you're good?" I asked my final question. He leaned over and grabbed my hand.

"Perfect."

---
We were tucked in a booth at the restaurant; Jack and I ranting about Sound of Music.

"I wish the army men had gotten them." He said out of nowhere. "Then Captain could've shot him!" I stifled a laugh.

"I agree." I nodded along. Aaron began to chuckle. The low murmurs soon turned into bellowing laughter. The two of us sent glares his way.

"You said it so casually." He said between giggles. Which is truly the word to describe the hysterical noises coming from the man. His laugh was much higher than his normal voice, and extremely contagious.