Chapter 7

Joelle's POV                        published: 02/19/2021

Three weeks have slowly passed by and so much has changed about my life already. I've gotten used to living here you can say. And my parents haven't even tried looking for me.

There were rules set for me. One of them was that I was not to leave the house, or it's premises, without Aaron or Mateo. That one was my least favorite.

It was summer! I was supposed to spend every day have fun with Sammy. But instead, I'm stuck here with a bunch of gangsters.

I've met a lot of Mateo's men and some of them are surprisingly really nice.

I can make jokes with them and mess around sometimes. But once Mateo comes around, everyone grows silent and goes back to what they were doing.

Oh! Also, Aaron and I have gotten much closer. I even consider him a friend. He's super nice and cool. He's really funny too. He's my Sammy when she's not here. I've gotten so comfortable with him in such a short amount of time.

———

1 week later

I start school in two weeks. 'Mateo is going to let me go right?' I try convincing myself but he probably won't. 'Just go ask him nicely, and he'll definitely let you. Right? Right.'

I somehow muster up the courage to lead my tiny feet downstairs. I'm now standing in front of Mateo's office hesitant as if I should disturb him or not.

I throw my head back and groan in frustration. "What are you doing?" Aaron asks me while eating a bowl of fruit loops. I sigh and hang my head low. "I need to ask him a question but I think he's going to just flat out say no." I confess and he smiles evilly.

"What?"

"No better way to find out than actually knocking right?" I look at him furrowing just eyebrows and see his hand going to knock in the door. My heart begins panicking and before I could stop him, "Aaron no!" I whisper shouted. He knocked and walked away.

"Come in." I heard Mateo's stern and tired voice. He was probably working on something. Damn. "I hate you!" I whispered to Aaron as he passed by me.

I took in a deep breath and slowly walked in his office. He didn't take his off his work at all making me feel awkward standing there.

He sighed heavily, "what do you need Joelle?" He asked. I knew he was not in the mood since he used my name name. 'Well this is going to be fun'

"Wellll, I just wanted to ask you a question." I said. 'Oh my god! There's like a .1% chance he'll say yes' I hold my breath waiting for him to respond.

"Well what is it Joelle? Don't just stand there!" He keeps his eyes on his work. Jeez what was he looking at so intensely.

"Okay! So you know school starts in two more weeks... and I was wondering I..." he cut me off. "No" my face dropped. I started getting upset. "N-No?" I repeated him and he still kept his eyes on his work. "No Joelle." He said sternly.

I huffed in my rising anger trying not to explode. "B-But Mateo.." he cut me off again and this time his focus left his papers and landed on me. "I said NO Joelle! Behave!" He demanded and i archer my eyebrows to show I was upset.

"Please! I'll be with Sammy almost the whole day! And I'll come straight back here once the school day ends! Mateooo pleaseee!" I begin to beg him. I just want to go somewhere that isn't here. I'm not going to try leaving again. I've already learned my lesson.