Chapter 20

Joelle's POV                       published: 02/25/2021

                           The doctor let me and Mateo go up to see Aaron in his room. He was just laying there, with tubes connected to his body. He looked so peaceful, yet in so much pain.

I wanted to cry and slap him over and over just in case would wake up. But for obvious reasons, that wasn't an option.

A couple hours passed and I fell asleep in a chair next to Aaron. Mateo must have carried me, because I woke up in my bed.

———
2 weeks later

It's been two weeks since Aaron fell into a coma.

I've been going to school, training with Mateo, and then straight to the hospital after.

Sometimes I had to sneak out to go to the hospital, because he didn't want me to be in danger going on my own so frequently.

The doctors keep telling us that they don't think he will ever wake up, but I tell them otherwise. He WILL wake up, I promise that.

They're doctors. They should be giving us hope and comfort. Not despair and hurt.

They also told us that although he is unconscious, there is a small chance he might be able to hear us. My heart fluttered when they said that.

Whenever I visited him, I would talk to him. Tell him how my school and training was going. Telling him what everyone at the gang was doing and how they felt. I talked to him about his siblings and how I've met them. I tell him how amazing they are. They truly are a photocopy of him. Especially his older brother.

———

Today was Wednesday, so I didn't have training. I walked home from school and took a nice long shower. I then put on some comfy clothes and did some homework before going downstairs and making myself some food. After I ate, I brushed my teeth and made sure Mateo was in his office.

He's been a lot lighter on me since the whole incident.

He's nicer to me and softer around me when the boys aren't around of course. But of course, his mafia leader side comes out and scares me still. But he was changing  and I could tell.  

I knocked on his door lightly and heard her deep voice speak, "come in." So I do. I smile and he returns the favor. "Hey baby, what do you need?" He asked me.

'Ouuuu see, this was his sweet and soft mood. I like this one, he's so cute. Also, I don't what we are. He calls me baby and he does things that people in relationships would do, but we haven't put a label on it. I do know, that I love him, and I want him. I find myself wanting to protect him and care for him, and I see him feel the same.'

I smile and walk over and sit in his lap. "I'm bored." I pout. He pouts back and kisses my forehead. 'Boring.' I know he wants to go farther with me, but I can't. Not now. My main worry is on Aaron.

I can't go sleeping around with Mateo while Aaron is sleeping around in a coma.

It felt like I was ignoring his situation and I didn't like that. Mateo understood though and I appreciated it.

"What did you do today?" I ask curiously and he sighs. "Well, I've been doing paper work, I sent some guys on some jobs, and I've been trying to figure out this thing with Aaron." My eyes widen at the mention of him. "What situation?" He holds onto my waist and holds me in place. "His brother is thinking about pulling the plug." I shove his hands away and fall on the ground.