Chapter 41

Joelle's POV published: 03/08/2021

I awoke in a completely different setting. I was in a hospital bed. 'What was I doing in a hospital bed?' I look around only to find Grayson and Aaron asleep.

I grabbed an extra pillow and threw it at Grayson. He jumped up and looked around. "Huh? Joelle are you okay?!" He shouted and I giggled. "I'm fine. I'm right here." I spoke and he practically ran to me. "Aaron she woke up!" He says throwing a pillow at him as well. Aaron basically reacted the exact same way.

'Why are they so worried about me? And why am I in a hospital for gods sake?!'

I look at the boys and they look at me intensely. "Why am I here?" I ask and they look at each other confused. "You don't remember what happened?" He asked me and I shook my head. "If I did I wouldn't be asking." I said and Grayson laughed.

"It's better that you don't remember Joelle." He says and I sigh. I try to get up but I feel a sharp pain come from all over my body.

THAT was the moment I remembered everything. I started freaking out and breathing heavy and the boys had to get a nurse.

They put me to sleep for a while to calm me down. I woke up hours later. This time only Aaron was in the room.

"Thank You." I tell him and he looks up. He looked exhausted and I felt extremely guilty. "For what?" He asked and I smiled lightly. "You saved me... you're my hero!" I said in a low voice. He laughed and smiled.

"Mateo and I had gotten into an argument." I told Aaron randomly. He looks up confused and realizes what I'm doing. "Joelle you don't have to..." I cut him off. "I want to." I say and he leans back.

"Me and Mateo had just got into an argument. Gosh I'm so stupid. I was upset because he didn't know I wanted to be a nurse." I laughed at how stupid I sounded. I looked at his pity face. "He never thought it was asked but I never brought it up either." I say and Aaron only sighs. "So I shouted at him to wave and he did. He left back to Chicago... then I couldn't fall asleep with out him and I heard someone knock. I thought it was Mateo so I opened it but it was... Mark." I say and start crying.

"Shhhh. It's okay JoJo.. I'm here and he's not. No ones going to hurt you anymore." He comforts me and I hug him back. "What happened to Mark?" I asked and he sighed. "Do you want to know right now, or until you feel better?" He said while rubbing my head. I look at him, "tell me." He sighs and I swallow back my fear.

"He's dead." He says and my eyes widen. "W-What?" I choke and he doesn't say it's a joke or anything. "You told Mateo?!" I panic and he laughs. "Mateo isn't the only one who kills people ya know?" I get saddened at the stereotype I imprinted on Mateo. "You killed him?" I asked and he shook his head.

"I beat the living shit out of him but.." he was cut off by a deep voice. "But I killed him." Grayson finished.

I was so confused. "Wait what?!" I says shocked. "Are you guys joking?!" I say in panic and Grayson sits next to me on the bed. "No one hurts my baby sister, no matter how long I've known her for." He says and hugs me.

This felt so nice but I suddenly felt guilty.

"I'm so sorry. This was supposed to be an unproblematic weekend..." I say hanging my head low and he smiles at me. "Don't apologize. This isn't your fault. In fact... I'd like it if you stayed another month... maybe, but only if you want to.. you do have to you know." He rambled on and I jumped into his arms. "Of course I'll stay dummy!"

———

So Mateo went back to Chicago and I convinced the boys and my mom not to mention anything to Mateo. I decided on staying with Grayson and my mom for another month and Aaron said he would stay with me.

I tried calling Mateo but he wouldn't answer so I just texted him instead.

Me: Mateo I'm so sorry for how everything went down. Call me when you get the chance.
Me: Hello?
Me: Mateo, can you stop ignoring me please.
Me: Me and Aaron are going to stay with Grayson for another month.
Me: Mateo I'm sorry please answer me.
Me: Fine, ignore me. I guess I'll just talk to you when I get back home in a month because we're not over me and you.

I sighed at all of my deliverers messages with no response at all. He was angrier than I thought. I understood him though.

I said some things to him that were all 100% true. I was just so mad and upset. I shouldn't have spoken to him that way though. I don't want to lose him but I can tell that we both need some time from each other.

This month apart will be good for us.

———

1 Month Later

In this past month, I have gotten to know both Grayson and my mom better. I learned new things about both of them and they became one of my best friends.

We flew Sammy out here one time and I noticed that they had been flirting a bit. Sammy and her boyfriend broke up a few weeks ago. I didn't want her to rebound on my brother but she isn't that type of girl anyways.

So if they want.. they can try. I won't stop them. But they completely deny everything me and Aaron point at them.

It's quite funny.

In the past month I did many things.

I got to know both my brother and mother better. I became closer with Aaron. I went to therapy and put on some very much needed weight.

I'm not a completely different person but I can say that I feel so much better than I did a month ago. Being around these people made me so happy.

I was even thinking about moving out here since I didn't have anything for me in Chicago except for Mateo. But I'm pretty sure he wants nothing to do with me.

Mine and Aaron's flight back to Chicago was going to be tomorrow morning at 9 AM. I told Grayson I'd come back soon to visit and he was excited.

I love my brother so much. It was as if I had known him my whole life. There were no awkward moments or weird ones. He got along with my friends. And most of all, he helped me become happier.

I was extremely great full for him and everything I have.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

WORD COUNT: 1174