Chapter 50

•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•
~Just Obey~
•March/13/2021•
•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•

🖤|JOELLE'S POV|🤍

"Mateo, we need to talk. Carter Stone is alive."

********************************************

The look on Mateo's face when those words came out, was one I wish I never had to witness.

********************************************

"You're crazy." He told me and I sat down next to him. "He's dead." He spoke again. I took his hand in mine. "He was in my apartment last night." I finally told him.

His head snapped back at me. He didn't believe me. I wouldn't believe me either if I was him. "Mateo, I promise I'm not lying. He's alive!" I nudged him but he didn't want to accept the truth.

I looked into his eyes and it was as if I brought back a spark of pain for him.

"Joelle, Carter Stone is dead." He kept repeating those words. Over and over again. "I KILLED HIM!" He finally shouted and I couldn't help but feel guilty. "I WATCHED HIM... I watched him die!" He shouted lower this time.

"He faked his death..." I said still looking into his now teary eyes. "He said you didn't wait long enough, and that the minute you left... he was rushed to a hospital and was saved, that was when he had everyone believe he was.. dead." I explained everything Carter told me to him but quicker.

"You were lied to." Mateo told me. "W-What?" I say. "I killed Carter, he is dead." He kept saying that, but I think it was just to reassure himself.

"Carter Stone is alive, and he came back to finish you off, the way he attempted to years ago..." I told him in a shaky voice. I had tears coming down my face. "...and it's all my fault." I said hanging my head down low.

Mateo noticed this and looked at me. He held my face in his hands and made me look at him. "How is this your fault Joelle?" He asked making it clear that he believes me now.

"He told me that he had given up trying to kill you until he found out of the things I've done." I told him and he looked completely and utterly confused. "Things you did? Joelle you didn't do anything."

"If I had just kept resisting you, and if I didn't let myself fall for you, then he wouldn't be here! He's here because I gave myself to you, he's here out of anger!" I cried and Mateo scoffed.

He was so tired of Carter Stone. Him coming back, clearly affected Mateo greatly and I couldn't help him.

"Listen to me Joelle." I looked up into his eyes full of worry and listened. "This is not your fault. He just wants something.. someone to blame for his disgusting crimes!" He told me and I nodded my head half way agreeing with him. "So stop blaming yourself chaparrita and give me a hug." He said causing me to giggle.

I leaned in hugging him tightly. I was scared to let go.

🤍|MATEO'S POV|🖤