Chapter 30

Author's POV published: 02/28/2021
Part 2 of Mateo's explanation

~~~summary of part one~~~
Mateo was a happy child with a happy family. Until Carter Stones ruined it, by having his parents killed for the power. Once Mateo was eligible enough to carry out the gang, Carter wanted to rid of him as well, but it backfired and he ended up the one killed. Mateo lost his second father figure, and any connection he had with Axel Stone.

Since then, Mateo became the cold, ruthless, and most feared man in the area. To protect his family and himself.

Because of that night, Axel became Mateo's number one enemy. Axel hated Mateo, while Mateo cared for him. As much as he tried, he couldn't push it away. Until he witnessed Axel and his men torturing the one girl he let in his life. It was then, he saw how changed Axel was. He wanted him dead. But even seeing him dead, hurt him. To the point where he attended his funeral in disguise.
~~~summary is now over~~~

Joelle's POV

                           Once Mateo finished telling me all of his childhood, I couldn't believe it. Why has so much happened to him in such a short amount of time?

I had tears running down my face. I was sad, heartbroken.

Mateo noticed and he pulled me into his chest. "Baby, it's okay. It happened, that's over with." He reassured me but I felt guilty. "I killed Axel..." I struggled to say and his eyes widened. "Joelle look at me." He strictly said so I listen to him. "He was hurting you, you had all the right intentions. I know if you knew about this past with him, you wouldn't have done it." He said smiling down at me.

How is it that he is so strong and able to lift me up when I can't even do that for myself.

I killed someone that Mateo cared for deeply. Without thought. And he still managed to forgive me. He was right though. It was a life or death decision.

"Now let's stop crying so I could finish the story... then you'll understand why this affects you and why I didn't want you to know baby." He says softly and I nod my head adjusting myself once again.

Mateo's POV

What I am about to tell Joelle might make her look at her whole life differently. She might hate herself, and/or me.

"I've been investigating to find out who exactly killed my parents. It wasn't Carter, he was only the sender. I wanted to know who the messenger is." I tell her and her eyes widen. In curiosity and in pain. Curiosity because, she wanted to know who killed my parents just as much as I did. Pain because, she cares for me and can't bear to hear the hurt I've been though.

"Did you find out who it was?" She asks leaning forward and I sigh and sit in her direction. "I do." I simply say taking her hands. "Remember that night I was dressed in all black and I had Olivia train you?" I asked and she rolled her eyes at the sound of Olivia's name. "Yep, that was like.. towards the middle of the school year." She replied and I nodded.

"That day, I learned 3 things." I spoke and she squeezed my hands. "W-What Mateo?" She asks and my heart breaks.

"Joelle, Carter Stone sent Mark Johnson to kill my parents and me." I say slowly so she could understand. I saw her eyes shift to a whole different emotion. One I couldn't describe. "M-My father?" She asks ever so innocently. I hang my head low. "That's the other thing," I stopped to let her breath. She pulled her hands away from me. "Your mother was having an affair with Carter Stone years before you were even born." Her big eyes shot up to me. They were full of tears and pain. "She got pregnant and gave birth to a baby boy. Fear of your father hurting the child, she gave him to a close friend to raise." I told her. She started breathing heavy. And I pulled her closer to me but she pulled away. "If you ever noticed your mom gone for an unusual period of time, she was up in Ohio with your older brother."

She stood up and paced through the room. "You mean to tell me.." her voice was shaky while she tried holding back her tears. "My father killed you parents and tried to kill you, my mother cheated on my father with the man who sent him on those jobs and had a son... my brother?" She asked. She probably felt like she was dreaming. She was shocked and confused. This is why I didn't want to tell her yet. And it only gets worse.

"Joelle there's more." I say and hang my head low. She shakes. "H-How could there b-be more?!" She shouts and I grab her and sit her on the couch. "Just listen, and then I understand if you need to break things or yell."

She breathes more fluently now and calms down a bit. Unfortunately not for long.

"After she hid your brother from Mark, she continued on with her secret affair, and 4 years after your brother Lucas was born, she got pregnant with you." I told her. She looks at me in confusion. "Yeah, my parents were trying to have kids. Apparently they were struggling to get pregnant." She claims and I feel pain for her. She has absolutely no clue. "They never did get pregnant baby." I say in my softest voice and she stares in confusion. "What are you talking about? Yes they did, they had me and I'm pretty sure I'm not adopted Mateo!" She starts getting upset and annoyed.

"Joelle you're father is Carter Stone, just like your brother Grayson Noah Madden"

Author's POV

~~~summary of part two~~~
Joelle felt guilt for taking away a life that meant something to Mateo. But Mateo was not upset with her, nor did he blame her. He made her understand that she was defending her life.

Months ago, Mateo started investigating to figure out who in reality killed his parents. When he found out, he flew out to Ohio to speak to confront the man who had done so. It was the day he picked up Joelle and was dressed in all black.

None other than Mark Johnson was sent by Carter Stone to murder both his parents and him. Joelle felt pained by this news and couldn't believe her ears.

Also, Joelle's mother had a baby boy 4 years prior of Joelle being born with Carter Stone. Due to their affair, she feared Mark hurting both her and the child, so she gave him to a close friend and raised him in secret. But once again, she got pregnant by Carter Stone and had Joelle.

Except with Joelle, she took to her advantage that her and Mark were trying to have kids. She raised Joelle as an only child. Thinking Mark was her father. In reality he wasn't.

1. Mark Johnson was sent by Carter Stone to kill Mateo's parents and him.
2. Anabeth Johnson had a secret affair with Carter Stone and had 2 children with him.
3. She raised her son far away from Mark, but she raised Joelle as his and hers. Not ever telling Joelle or Mark, who her real father was, and that she has an older brother in Ohio.
~~~summary is now over~~~