008

A/n: I know this was supposed to be the episode of the ferryboat accident but I remembered I wanted to do the episode where Ellis remembers everything except for the last five years so that is what I am doing in the chapter so it might be extremely wrong.

Sarah curled closer into Delilah's arms not wanting to get out of bed when her phone starts ringing. Sarah sighs and answers her phone "Hello is this Sarah Grey?" a woman asks "yes this is she. Who is this?" Sarah asks sitting up in bed. "This is Jenny Benson from the nursing home and we were just wondering if you would mind coming in because there has been a slight change with your mother" Jenny says causing Sarah to climb out of bed "I will be there soon" Sarah hangs up and starts getting ready.

Sarah quickly got ready and walked over to the bed to kiss Delilah's head then walks out of the apartment and drives to the nursing home. Once she gets there Sarah walks in and goes straight to the front desk when a woman walks up to her. "She woke up this morning completely aware. She's her old self. It happens. Medically we don't know why. It's just a random gift" Mrs. Henry says looking to the woman.

"So she's lucid? She remembers?" Sarah asks "Pretty much everything except the last five years. And of course she doesn't realize she has Alzheimer's. We thought she should hear it from you" Mrs. Henry explains "So, she'll know me? I'm gonna walk in there and she'll know who I am?" Sarah questions "She's been asking for you" Mrs. Henry says causing Sarah's breath to hitch.

Sarah walks into her mother's room and sits down on the bed because her mother told her to. "Sarah! What is going on? When did Meredith get back from Europe?" Ellis asks looking around "Meredith went to Europe for 2 months but that was..." Sarah explains "I've been sitting here, thinking about the fight we had. The things I said...I...I...I said some terrible things" Ellis says looking to her daughter "It's fine" Sarah says slightly shaking her head.

"No! It's not. After you left I was upset. Did I have a breakdown? I must have had a nervous breakdown. I'm in a...is this a hospital? Because I...I can't remember anything for the past two months, Sarah. The last thing I remember is the fight we had. And...and listen, if you don't wanna work at the hospital that is fine. It is your life, just...just take me home" Ellis says on the verge of tears "I went to work at a hospital mom" Sarah says.

"I wanna go home, Sarah. I need to go home" Ellis says to her daughter "You are home. Meredith went to Europe, five years ago. You got sick. You have Alzheimer's. This is your home. You live here now" Sarah says causing Ellis to break down "No! No!" Ellis yells out "Mom" Sarah tries to grab her mothers arm "No!" Ellis yells. Ellis looks sick and starts to fall over "Mom? Mom? Mom!" Sarah yells as she catches her mother "Some body call 911!" Sarah yells out.

At The Hospital

"She had sub-sternal chest pains..." Sarah starts but is interrupted "chest pains and sycopy. My pace was in the 200's but that rate has resolved on it's own" Ellis finishes for her daughter Burke helps Sarah out of the ambulance. "She's completely lucid" Sarah says when her sister walks up "She's what.." Burke and Meredith say at the same time

"She's aware. She's herself again" Sarah says as they enter the hospital "My god, is this... are we in Seattle Grace?" Ellis asks "Yes mom, this is where me and Meredith are doing our residency's" Sarah says "Your daughter is one of our finest Residents and Meredith is an amazing Intern. Following in your very big footsteps" Burke says "Do you know a Richard Webber? Is he still a doctor here?" Ellis asks "What the Chief?" Burke questions "Richard Webber's the Chief? Of surgery?" Ellis asks.

As they continue walking down the hall Richard notices them and walks over to the two grey women. "What? Is she all right?" Richard asks "She's..." Sarah starts "Richard Webber. My god you've aged." Ellis says "Ellis?" Richard questions "I was having arrhythmias, they wanted to do tests and...I hear you're the chief of surgery now. That's wonderful" Ellis says smiling "Yes, um...but I'm stepping down soon" Richard explains "Stepping down? Well, I can only assume that was Adele's idea. Sarah....." Ellis says "I'll be right there, Mom. Go ahead" Sarah says to the nurse and Ellis is wheeled away.

"She's lucid. She woke up this morning with her memory back. They say it's temporary" Sarah explains to the man before her "My God! Well, obviously, don't worry about work today. I mean, you need to be with her. I mean, this time...it's a gift" Richard says smiling "It's a gift. Right" Sarah says and walks to the elevator where her mom is waiting.

After that Sarah runs into Delilah right in front of her mothers room. Sarah smiled as Delilah wrapped her arms around her waist and kissed her head. "Hey I heard your mom was brought in and is lucid!" Delilah says smiling "yep they say it's a gift though I am not sure what the gift is in this" Sarah says "why don't we figure it out over lunch with Addison and Callie" Delilah says and grabs Sarah's hand "sounds perfect" Sarah says and they walk away.

Following lunch, Sarah walked back to her mothers room who called her in. Once Sarah was sitting Ellis looked to her eldest daughter. "I already have talked to Meredith but I want to know, how is your life?" Ellis asks Sarah. Sighing, Sarah looks to her mother, "After our fight about where I wanted to do my internship and residency years. I moved out but stayed near finishing up medical school. After that I moved us here and I started my internship. Now I am a first year resident" Sarah explains as Ellis nods. "And what about that woman who kissed your head that you were smiling at?" Ellis questions.

"That would be my fiancé Delilah Shepherd. She is the greatest person in the entire world to me" Sarah says to her mother. "Have you chosen a specialty?" Ellis asks "No, it's...it's...I'm unsure" Sarah says "Cristina's already chosen cardio-thoracics and Meredith has taken an interest in Neurosurgery" Ellis says

"Yeah, well, I guess I'm just waiting to be inspired. I'm happy now. I feel like I know who I am plus I think when you have someone in your life that you love, you really love, I think that's...I don't know I just...I'm really happy" Sarah explains

"What happened to you?" Ellis asks "What do you mean?" Sarah questions looking at her mother not realizing Delilah was standing outside with Addison.

"You're happy? You're happy now? The Sarah I knew was a force of nature, passionate, focused, a fighter. What happened to you? You've gone soft. Stammering about a fiancé and saying you're waiting to be inspired. You're waiting for inspiration? Are you kidding me? I have a disease for which there is no cure. I think that would be inspiration enough" Ellis argues with her eldest daughter "Mom..." Sarah tries

"Listen to me, Sarah. Anyone can fall in love and be blindly happy. But not everyone can pick up a scalpel and save a life. I raised you to be an extraordinary human being. So imagine my disappointment when I wake up after five years and discover that you're no more than ordinary. What happened to you?" Ellis argues even more. Sarah stands with tears in her eyes and walks out of the room straight into Addison and Delilah's arms.

Both woman pull her into a hug and they all walk away. "I'm fine I promise" Sarah says looking to her Best friend and fiancé. Neither women believe that but Delilah is paged to the OR. Addison says she will stay so Delilah leaves and Addison pulls Sarah in for a hug as she wipes the young surgeons tears away. Sarah sighs and sits there not wanting to face her mother again.

Later, Sarah is paged into surgery so that is where she spends her time and after that she goes home to see Delilah waiting on their bed reading a book. She walks in and curls up on her fiancé's lap.