There Were Two

Izuku really didn't know what else to say. Katsuki was perfect and always did his best for the Omega. Even when the other was worried, he was worried about Izuku, not himself. Five minutes must have passed quickly because a small beep came from the test strip in his hand. He felt Katsuki stiffen slightly and the greenette pulled back, giving a small smile to his mate before placing a kiss on his lips

"Okay — " Izuku breathed out and slowly lifted his hand up between them, and uncurling his fingers around the test. The Omega felt his whole body sag as he read the results, feeling weighed down from the intensity of this situation.

"Not pregnant," he whispered, swallowing down the instinctual part of him that screamed in disappointment. Izuku was relieved even if his Omegan nature felt deflated at the results. His Alpha had not given him pups and as much as he felt like crying in relief, he just stood there.

"I-I don't know why I feel like something's not right," he breathed out shakily. He didn't know how to describe it, a mixture of pure and total bodied relief and deep discomfort knowing he wasn't pregnant. Even if he didn't want to be, and would have surely been upset with a positive test, he felt like rejoicing for a negative was the wrong thing to do right now. The greenette flicked his eyes up to Katsuki's with a sad smile. Why was he feeling sad? For some reason, an apology was on the tip of his tongue — an apology for many things — but most importantly, for not giving his mate the pups that both of them seemed to strangely yearn for. It was a confusing realization, and Izuku swallowed thickly before the dam broke and tears began to drip down his cheeks.

"I'm — I'm s-sorry, Alpha," he choked while the tears kept falling. He wasn't crying, not really. There were no sounds, just the confusing silence and overwhelming emotions buzzing inside him.

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

Katsuki bit back his own strange sadness at the sight of Izuku's tears. Despite the relatively good news, they both were hurting inside. He barked out a bitter laugh and shook his head, flashing Izuku the same sad smile right back at him.

"Fucking instincts," Katsuki scoffed. Immediately, he reached out and pulled his mate into his arms. He wrapped Izuku up and began scenting him to calm the trail of tears. "Don't apologize, kitten. It's okay."

He shifted and pulled his mate down on the bed with him so they could feel a little closer.

"If you think about it," he murmured softly. "The Alpha Suppressants I was taking had all kinds of warnings on the label I ignored. Reduced sperm count, risk of infertility, and if pregnancy happened, the chances of a miscarriage were raised."

Katsuki let his fingers run softly through Izuku's green curls while he explained.

"My rut was just after that. The suppressant wasn't in full effect, but those meds were made to work immediately with strong interactions. Don't apologize, because it's not your fault. It's just the way things happened and it's okay that they happened this way. Now you don't have to worry, babe, and I already bought condoms. So we don't need to worry about this happening again. It slipped our minds, but we'll do better next time."

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

Izuku curled into his mate's side and closed his eyes. Katsuki was right; this was good news, but their instincts seemed to think otherwise. He was thankful to have such an understanding partner. Katsuki obviously felt the same bitter aftereffects of the negative test, although they both were happy things turned out this way. Pregnancy was impractical right now, and Izuku planned to take this as a lesson well learned.