CHAPTER 20

As soon as we stepped out the hut, I immediately felt a chill from the night air. The torches were lit with fire outside the hut, giving us some light to see through the forest. It was unusually silent, making me slightly nervous. Minho occasionally winced from his still fresh injuries, before straightening up and putting back on his tough guy stance. I pulled an arrow out from my pack and readied it on my bow, whipping my head around at any sound that met my ears.

We soon made it to the Glade area, and saw that big, nasty Grievers had entered from the Maze. They were tearing the Glade apart, taking down buildings and setting places on fire by throwing the torches on to the flammable grass. Minho pulled me behind a tree trunk, making us both invincible from the sight of the Grievers. I could hear my heart beating in my ears, while Minho’s was even heard from where I was beside him.

“We need to get across to the Homestead”, Minho stated, sweat starting to glisten on his skin.

“How the hell are we gonna do that?!”, I asked in a harsh whisper.

“Do I look like freakin’ spiderman?!”, Minho questioned back in a whisper. “We’re just gonna have to fight our way through”.

“Fine”, I said. “But we have to try and at least get around through the trees, round to the Homestead. Maybe the Grievers won’t see us”.

Minho nodded, before slowly starting to grab on to the nearest branch, and hoist himself up. He seemed to struggle since the wound in his arm was probably killing him, but he was able to get up about 10 feet until I stopped him.

“What the hell are you doing?!”, I asked in disbelief.

“You said that they won’t see us if we go through the trees”, he replied before getting up on the next branch.

I didn’t mean it like that..... but I guess it could work. Grievers can climb, but not up something thinner than the Maze walls. They won’t be able to get us up there.

“Need help princess?”, I heard him ask, a snigger following. I looked up and saw he was looking down at me from about three high branches away, a smirk on his face.

I rolled my eyes before grabbing on to the first branch and pulling myself up. Minho started to climb again, me following after him. My arms were considerably weak since I had to hoist up the wall that was on Minho, so I had to strain myself a couple of times.

Soon enough Minho had made it to the last sturdy branch and waited for me to catch up. Once I was one the second last one, Minho reach out his hand for me to take and effortlessly lifted me up so I was now crouching down next to him.

“Do I seriously weigh anything to you?”, I asked, making him smirk again.

“Nope, it’s literally like carryin’ one of the Runner backpacks”, he stated, before turning around and getting on to the next branch that was closest to the one we were standing on. He back up to the tree trunk, and waited for me to hop on.

“Come on, I’ll catch you”, he encouraged, making me snigger.

“Not sure if I believe that”, I mumbled, before jumping on to the next branch, Minho wrapping his arms around me when I landed.

“You okay?”, he asked.

“Yeah”, I replied, before he removed his arms and turned around, shuffling around the tree trunk so he was on the next branch on the other side. I did the same, nearly falling backwards when I saw something scurry right past my head.

A Beetle Blade.

“Oh crap....”, I muttered, before Grievers started to screech louder and their loud thumps and screeches got closer to the tree.

“Floral hurry up!”, Minho yelled, now not caring if they heard us. They already know where we are, so it doesn’t really matter if they hear us.

I quickly followed Minho and we both jumped on to the next tree, before I saw the Grievers were right below us, screeching and clawing at the  tree trunk. Soon enough, the tree would fall from the attacks. That meant the both of us have to move fast.

One particular Griever was being persistent, using all its weapons to cut into the tree, speeding up the process of the tree falling. The tree we were currently standing on was suddenly not feeling so steady. It rocked to the side ever so slightly, making Minho and I stumble.

“That shuck Griever is gonna break down the tree before we make it to the next one”, Minho said. “We need to speed it up!”.

When Minho was preparing to jump on to the next tree, I gained the courage to pull out an arrow from my pack and line it up with my bow. I slowly aimed it down and pulled the string back, taking a deep breath, and released the arrow. It sliced through the air, before plunging into its target.

The particular Griever’s screech was cut short, and froze, before falling to the floor. A sickish green blood poured out from its wound, where my arrow was plunged into its head. The other Grievers seemed to pause, looking down at their companion in shock. I couldn’t help but feel shocked myself, and looked back at Minho to see he had the same expression.

“Nice shot Floral”, Minho stated, before snapping out of it. “Now get over here!”.

I backed up a little and jumped on to the branch, making Minho do the same thing where he wrapped his arms around me to steady the both of us. The Grievers seemed to have snapped out of it, and continued to move to the next tree, clawing at it like the previous one.

Minho and I soon came to the last tree, which was now right behind the Homestead. We were trapped. There was no way we would be able to get down without being ripped to shreds. The Homestead was so close, but so far in a way.

“You think you can shoot ‘em dead from here?”, Minho questioned, making me turn and look at him.

“Maybe, if I can get a few clear shots”, I said with a small shrug.

“That’s the best we got”, Minho said. “Fire away Floral”.

I drew another arrow and lined it up, aiming at one of the Grievers. I let go of the string but it missed, only plunging into its shoulder. It screeched in pain, but didn’t roll over and die. I drew another arrow and tried to shoot again, not getting it in the left side of it’s forehead. It did the same as the last, falling to the ground and died.

One down, about four to go.

I continued to shoot arrows, hitting them anywhere in their blubbery skin. I got mostly head shots, until I ran out of arrows completely. There was one Griever left, but was faintly screeching from the amount of arrows it had in its skin. It wasn’t quite dead yet, but could still kill us if we got down.

“I got this one”, Minho stated, before pulling out his machete and throwing it at the Griever.

It shot straight into its head, making blood spurt out from Minho’s hard throw and the Griever froze in its place. It then fell back and landed on the ground with a loud thud, the machete stuck in its head. I looked at the dead Griever in shock, amazed that he actually threw it so accurately and with such force, that the Griever actually dropped dead.

“I guess I sound a whole lot more attractive now huh?”, Minho sassed, making me turn to him where I saw his well known smirk.

“Whatever”, I mumbled before starting to climb down from the tree. I heard Minho chuckle before following in pursuit.

Once we made it to the bottom, I heard more screeches come from the Maze entrance, making us look to see more Grievers had entered the Maze. Minho grabbed my wrist before starting to pull me towards the back door of the Homestead. We pulled it open and left it swaying in the wind. We ran down the hall and soon made it to the Living room area where all the Gladers were gathered.

“Floral?! Minho?!”, Newt said in disbelief as he stood up from his place. “You’re alive?!”.

“That’s right shank, here to save your asses”.