CHAPTER 28

Another memory started, but it didn’t seem to be in my point of view anymore. It was just before they sent Minho to the Maze, and the main CEO’s of WICKED were gathered in a room, sitting around a table. They looked serious and the one called Chancellor Paige was sitting at the very end, looking like the queen of the place.

“We need to discuss the relationship between Subject A7 and Floral, our one of two pearls of WICKED”, she stated, making the other people nod and mumble in agreement.

“They seem to be spending a lot time together, which is violation of the rules here. No subjects can grow feelings for each other, since it makes the experiment more difficult and could change it dramatically”, Chancellor Paige explained, looking at each and every one of the people in the room. “We must take action and somehow change their feelings for each other. We need to come up with some sort of drug or substance that can change their feelings”.

“Not only that Miss”, one of the CEO’s spoke up, making them all turn their attention to him. “Subject A2 is getting close to Teresa, the other half of the two pearls of WICKED. Doesn’t that cause more problems as well?”.

“Yes, that is true”, she replied. “And more of a reason to create some sort of feeling changer. We can’t have silly, young love destroy what we’ve worked so hard on”.

The scene changed, where the Gladers were sitting back in the room where Teresa collected Alby. Newt was now missing, leaving Minho to be the next one to go into the Maze. I was still in my casual wear, jeans with a shirt and jumper over the top. I was the one to collect him, but I had a heavy heart and a frown on my face. 

I had grown feelings for Minho through the time of being here. Even though he bothered me constantly and teased me about everything, my heart longed for me to be with him. We started to hang out a little more when we weren’t working, or preparing for the next subject to be sent in. And we both had grown feelings for each other.

I opened the door of the room and the Gladers looked up from their floor, eyebrows raised. They didn’t know who was going next, but they were too nervous to find out. I walked in and looked directly at Minho, seeing him with raised eyebrows and no snippy comments. He had a feeling it was going to be him this month, so he kept his mouth shut and hoped that his prediction was wrong.

“Minho....”, I called out, and his eyes fell from their stage of hope. He stood up from his place, and walked forward, until he stood right in front of me. The other Gladers looked at their friend with sadness and worry, before I turned around and started to lead him out the room.

We walked along the walls of WICKED, staying quiet and not making a sound. We both had heavy hearts and sad faces, all the way until we stood in front of the entrance to the Box that would take the new subjects up to the Maze.

“So this is it huh?”, Minho said, as he stood in front of me with his back facing the entrance.

“Yeah.... for now anyway”, I said, cracking a small smile and clutching my clipboard in my hands.

“I’ll see you soon then?”, he asked hopefully, not knowing that I’ll be sent in two years time.

“Maybe....”, I said, making Minho nod at the answer.

One of the scientists came over and injected a needle into Minho’s arm, before walking away and saying that the Swipe will start in about three minutes, meaning we didn’t have long. He would pass out and loose memory of everything but his name.

“I’ll miss you Shorty”, he said with a small snigger, making me scoff.

“By the time I get to the Maze, I’ll be much taller. I’ll make sure of it”, I said, making him smirk and hold back another snigger.

“Yeah whatever”, he said, before wrapping his arms around my small figure and squeezing me against his chest. I wouldn’t usual accept this, but now seemed different. I wrapped my arms around his middle and closed my eyes, savouring every second we had.

“Now hurry up and go, before I have to drag you there and knock you out”, I said while pulling myself out of his arms, knowing full well that I didn’t want to.

I waited for another snarky comment, but it never came. Instead, I felt soft lips against mine and warm hands on the sides of my face, cupping my cheeks gently. My eyes went wide, seeing that the boy that I had grown feelings for was kissing me. I was frozen in my place, until he pulled away slowly and stood back up at his tall height. He had a small smile on his face, before letting his hands fall back to his sides.

“You have no idea how long I’ve wanted to do that”, he said, while I looked up at him with a shock-stricken face.

“You must go now A7”.

“Yeah yeah I know”, Minho replied to the scientist before turning around and walking into the Box, turning back around, before giving me another charming smile. He then passed out the doors to the Box closed, making tears slowly well up into my eyes.

---

Sounds were all around me. I couldn’t quite comprehend who’s they were, but they one sounded angry and the other was trying to defend himself, seeming quite frightened.

“You said that you would take care of her!”, one yelled. “You have one job Newt, and you blew it you shuckface!”.

“It’s not my fault that she decided to randomly sting herself!”, the other defended.

“Woah hold on dude, she’s fine”, another voice butted in, helping the one who was being yelled at. “Yes she was stung, but just be thankful she’s alive. He had to take care of everyone since Alby was sick. Give him a break”.

I was able to crack my eyes open and look up at the ceiling. It was familiar; the poorly built ceiling was made of wood with several nails stuck in it. I was in the Homestead, the Med-jack room if I’m not mistaken. My whole body ached, feeling tired and bruised all over. I looked down and saw that I was covered with a blanket, and I was lying in bed. I noticed that I was wearing a blue hoodey that looked like the one that Minho wore occasionally, and I had on a pair of track pants. I sure hope Teresa was the one that changed me.

My throat was dry and it hurt to breathe for a moment, but it soon settled and became normal. I let out a small cough, making three heads snap towards me, before scurrying over and three figures loom over me.

“Floral?! Floral hey are you awake?! Come on say somethin’!”, one called, immediately making me realise it was the Spike-head I had memories of.

“G-Get out.... of my face”, I said, making all three of them sigh in relief and lean back, so I could actually breath.

“Geez you scared the shuckin’ hell out of me! You know that?!”, Minho said, before leaning forward again and squeezing me in a tight hug, making my breath hitch in my throat and feel another strike of pain jump through my body.

“Woah hey Minho, give her some space will ya’? She just woke up”, Thomas said, making Minho pull away with a small pout.

“I came back from the Maze and Chuck told me you got literally stung yourself with the Griever’s spike. Are you insane?! Didn’t you know how worried I was?!”, he asked as I forced myself to sit up in bed, before sighing relief of being in a comfortable position.

“I remember....”, I stated, making the three go silent and look at me with raised eyebrows.

“Remember what?”, Newt questioned, making me turn to them.

“Everything”.