CHAPTER 22

Probably a lot of mistakes in this one~

---------

The Gladers were beginning to start cleaning up the Glade. The Grievers had completely ruined it, fires still going off in random places. Hard work, crushed into pits of sticks and heaps of junk. I saw Newt run his hand down his face about a million times by now. I was waiting by the Maze entrance, anxious for Minho to come back. No one knows why he just ran out there like that. He could be dead right now, and we wouldn’t even know it.

I soon heard jogging footsteps echo from down the Maze corridor, and jumped out of my place to look down the corridor. Minho appeared and stepped into the Glade, making a whole lot of weight lift from my shoulders. Even though he was sweaty, and I immediately wrapped my arms around his middle and hugged him tightly.

“You scared the hell out of me”, I mumbled. His arms soon wrapped around my shoulders and I felt him lean the side of his face on top of my head.

“Sorry, just had to make sure”, he stated, a slight puff in his voice. We pulled away and looked up at him confused.

“Make sure of what?”, I asked.

“To see if the Grievers went back to the Cliff”.

“Well did they?”.

“Yep”.

I sighed before running a hand through my puffy hair, before looking around the Glade at all the mess. The Gladers seemed to have given up in trying cleaning it up. The looks on their faces’ broke my heart, seeing how heartbroken and hopeless they looked. Newt was starting to limp over, before stopping in front of us. He held a flannel to the side of his face, where blood was slowly dripping out from where Gally had hit him with the wooden board.

“Where the bloody hell have you been?”, Newt asked Minho, glaring at him.

“Seein’ if the Grievers went back to the Cliff”, Minho shrugged. “They did by the way”.

“Whatever”, Newt replied while shaking his head. “Doesn’t matter anyway, the maps are all gone”.

“What?! What do you mean all gone?!”, I asked, shocked.

“The Mapping hut was on fire. The maps were burnt, every last one of the buggers”, Newt said grumpily. Minho and I looked at each other, before beginning to run to the Mapping hut. Newt followed after us, but at a slower rate.

Once we reached the hut, we saw that the Gladers had only just put out the fire and the walls of the hut were as black as coal. The place looked like it was going to collapse any minute now. Many Gladers were standing around, solemn expression stretching across their stressed faces. Nothing could of survived that fire. We now have nothing to go off on, no more maps.

“What happened?!”.

I glanced behind me and saw Thomas and Teresa running over, before stopping once they saw the sight of the Mapping hut. They seemed to have caught on to what must have happened, and stayed silent.

“One of the guys ran in and pulled out Alby from the fire”, Newt murmured, making us all turn to him.

“Alby was in there?”, I asked, making Newt nod.

“Had a mad gash on his head. Must of knocked his head on the edge of a table or somethin’.....”, Newt replied. I looked over at Minho and saw that he was silent, a blank face on and looked somewhat, lost.

“Minho”, I called out. “You okay?”.

His eyes slowly went down to meet mine, letting me see exactly what he was thinking. He was angry. Not just angry actually, enraged. Furious. He then turned on his heel and started walking off, and angry stomp in his steps. He walked quickly and soon disappeared into the Deadheads. I met eyes with Newt, before he gestured his head towards the direction that Minho disappeared to. I nodded, before jogging across the Glade.

I soon reached the forest and started walking through, looking for Minho. I turned my head back and forth frequently, hoping that he hadn’t injured himself or done something stupid. I was thinking of calling out his name, but then I stopped myself, thinking he might hide once he hears me.

I huffed in frustration, seeing now sign of the spike head I love and know. I couldn’t find him anywhere. I don’t even know why he ran off like that. It wasn’t until I started walking back to the Glade, when I spotted something high up one of the trees. A figure was visible through the leaves, making me sigh in slight relief.

I stayed quiet and grabbed the lowest branch, pulling myself up and starting to climb up the tree. He didn’t seem to notice, so I kept climbing. Minho was looking out in front of him, his legs hanging over the side of the tree, while he tore apart bits of leaves he randomly pulled off.

Once I made it up to the branch that he was one, I steadied myself and crawled along it, until I sat down beside him. I’m pretty sure he knew I was there, but he just didn’t turn his head for acknowledgement. Something was definitely wrong, I just didn’t know what and how to get him to tell me.

“What’s 365 times 2?”, Minho suddenly asked, making me turn my head towards him with an odd look.

“Why?”, I questioned, but he stayed silent. I sighed before slowly working it out in my head before answering. “730”.

“That’s 730 maps, gone”, he said, irritation gleaming out from his tone of voice. He forcefully pulled apart another leaf, before throwing it away. I watched it slowly fly through the air, before disappearing from my line of sight.

“Hey it’s okay”, I tried my best to reassure him. “It’s not your fault. You have a good memory, maybe you can-“.

“It’s not that easy Floral!”, he snapped at me, making me jump slightly and shut my mouth. “Those maps were the only thing that was the closest to our way out of here! I’m not freaking Einstein to remember all those shuckin’ things!”.

I stayed silent; wishing I never opened my mouth. I upset him, I annoyed him even more. I just thought I could try and give him a little help, but maybe it was stupid to suggest anything. I looked down at the ground that was about 12 metres down, feeling my eyes even water a little.

I heard a loud sigh, before strong arms wrap around me. My sight was pressed against Minho’s chest, his head above mine with his chin on top of my head. His hand was slowly starting to stroke my hair, before he started to speak in a quiet voice.

“I’m sorry from snappin’ at you, I didn’t mean it”, he stated, before gulping slightly. “I’m just irritated that all that hard work was destroyed by those shuck slinthead Grievers”.

“It’s okay.....”, I replied, leaning my head on Minho’s collar bone. “I know your annoyed, you have every right to be”.

We stayed silent, just enjoying each other’s awkward company. We stayed in the same position for a while, not caring that it looked kind of uncomfortable. We must have been there for an hour or so, before Minho shuffled and I pulled my head up from his collar bone. He put his hand on my cheek, before stroking my skin with his thumb. Minho then slowly leaned down and pressed his lips against mine, making my heart beat slow down to an occasional bump. I closed my eyes and kissed him back, turning my head to the side for better access.

It lasted longer than I thought. I had to slowly pull back to realise how long, but he didn’t seem to want to stop. He leaned forward when I leaned back, making it impossible to break the kiss.

“Minho-we-need-to-get-back”, I said between his kisses, not able to talk freely when he kept leaning forward. He soon sighed before slowly pulling away and pouting again, jutting out his bottom lip and making his eyes bigger.

“But I don’t want to go back yet”, he whined, suddenly not appearing so grumpy and angry from the maps being destroyed.

“Well we have to”, I said before turning around, crawling towards the tree trunk and slowly started to climb down. I heard Minho huff before following after.

I guess we have a lot of stuff to do when we get back.