CHAPTER 31

“Shucking hell, I’m so done with this”, Newt whined while dropping his pencil, and rolling around his wrist. “Can we see if it worked? My hand is hurtin’ like a mother”.

“Newt’s right”, Thomas spoke while picking up his traced maps. “I think we’ve done enough”.

We gathered up the maps we had traced, before slowly putting them down on the table and starting to put one behind another. Map after map, letters started to form. Words followed, making the letters make sense and become clear. We tried making other words, but the same letters came up, repeating the same words.

FLOAT
CATCH
BLEED
DEATH
STIFF
PUSH

“That’s it. We can’t make anythin’ else”, Thomas said while standing back and looking over the words.

“What does this even have anything to do with the Maze?”, Frypan asked. “Yeah, it was formed from the maps. But what does it mean? What are we gonna use these shuck words for anyway?”.

“A computer”, I blurted. “I saw some sort of computer that meant to have this code punched into. It opens up a door to our escape....”.

“Are you completely sure ‘bout this?”, Newt asked while eyeing me. “There’s no turnin’ back. This code could be our escape, but it’s only on your memories”.

“I know..... I’m sure of it”, I said, meaning every word.

I saw it. And I believe that it’s there. WICKED couldn’t possibly give me fake memories. They want us to get out. This is our way out, I’m sure of it completely.

“Okay, I believe you”, Newt said, before turning to the entire group in the hut. “We get out tonight. Gather everyone that you know, and meet at the entrance at 6pm”.

And with that, Newt left the hut. The group was quiet, startled from his announcement. We didn’t realise he would agree so easily and immediately propose we leave at the first chance we get. But none of us complained. We did want to leave. We needed to leave. And this was the perfect opportunity in my point of view.

“Memories the words, get packin’...”, Minho stated simply, making the others start to look over the words a thousand times. I did the same, making the words permanently edged into my brain where a blank spot was.

The others soon left, leaving only me and Minho. He was starting to pack up the many boxes that would be left here in the Glade. But I continued to run my eyes over to words, making sure since my memory was terrible. Minho didn’t have trouble with memorising, he remembers an entire Maze. But I wasn’t as sharp as he was. I need reassurance and study time.

“You know that it’s just six words right?”, Minho spoke up while putting down a box, and looking at me from over his shoulder.

“You shut up”, I said without taking my eyes off the combined maps. “I’m not as sharp as you are. I can’t just look at words and remember them completely. I have to be sure”.

“Oh come on babe”, his arms wrapped around my waist and his front pressed against my back. “Don’t worry, I can tell them to you again when we’re in the Maze okay? Leave it to me”.

“Did you just call me babe?”, I questioned, my eyebrows creased as if I didn’t hear him right.

“Yes, I did”, he confirmed. “And I’m goin’ to continue to call you that from now on”.

“Anyway, we’re getting off topic”, I said, before turning around in his arms so I was facing him. “We have less than three hours to pack and get ready to go into the Maze. I suggest we get started now”.

“You suggest? What, are you orderin’ me around now?”.

“Yes, since all you want to do is cuddle and smooch all the time”, I announced with a snigger, before walking around him and picking up the hoodie that I had taken off a few hours ago. “By the way, this jumper’s yours right?”.

“Yup”, he answered while popping the ‘p’. “When I came back from the Maze and was told that you got stung, I walked into your room and saw that Teresa had changed your clothes. You were shuckin’ shiverin’, so I gave you that to keep ya’ warm. Pretty considerate huh?”.

“Thanks”, I replied, a smile creeping on to my face. I went to hand it back to him, but he shook his hand as a gesture.

“Nah keep it. You look better in it than I do”, he confessed, another dashing smile forming on his face. I blinked, before nodding and smiling. I slipped it back over my head, embracing Minho’s familiar smile and warmness of the material.

It was as comfortable as being in Minho’s arms.

----

For the time we had left, the whole Glade was packing the things they needed. The food we had left, water, weapons, medical supplies, and above all, Grief Serum. We want to save as many of us as we can. That’s essential in this situation. Minho was by my side at all times, making sure that I was packed and ready before he tended to himself and others. It was sweet of him, but I would appreciate it if he packed for his safety, before others/me.

Minho gave me the bow and arrows that I used when the Grievers attacked, saying I would be extremely helpful and skilful into the Maze. He also gave me a knife in case I got into an emergency, before packing himself with a long machete that attached itself on to his Runner pack that he had on his back. All the Gladers were given long sticks that were sharpened, making them threatening and harmful. But I doubt it would be more useful to me than my bow and arrows. I had on a thin Runner pack that only carried a Grief Serum needle and a water pack. Minho checked over me a thousand times, before we went to the Maze entrance where the Gladers were waiting for the announcement to go into the Maze.

The both of us were sent to the front, seeing as we were important for this particular event. I found that Alby was standing silently beside Newt, looking sour and scowling, just like he used to be. But I believe that he’s no longer seen as the Leader here anymore. He didn’t want part in most of this, and the Gladers were a bit suspicious of having such a troubled boy as their Leader. Minho and Newt were mostly figureheads now, showing more leadership and care for the Gladers.

“Shouldn’t.... someone give some sort of prep talk?”, Thomas suggested, rubbing the back of his neck while the Glade was silent.

“Minho, go ahead”, Newt called on my boyfriend, who stepped forward and turned around to face the whole group. He cleared his throat, before speaking out.

“Be careful, don’t die”.

I face-palmed as soon as the words left him mouth. I should of guessed that he’d say something like that. Minho wasn’t the wisest of people. Maybe he wasn’t the best choice for the prep talk to encourage people to run to their possible deaths.

“Great, we’re all bloody inspired”, Newt said with a roll of his eyes.

“You think you can do better shuckface, be my guest”, Minho stated with snort before stepping back beside me, immediately taking my hand in his. Newt walked in front of the crowd, before talking.

“You all know the plan. After two years of being treated like mice, tonight we’re making a stand. Tonight we’re taking the fight back to the Creators, no matter what we have to go through to get there. Tonight, the Grievers better be bloody scared”, Newt said, bringing courage to our hates and sweat to our brows. I looked along the front line and spotted Thomas and Teresa holding hands, along with Minho holding mine with a small hint of a smirk on his face.

“You hear that Creators? We’re comin’!”, Newt yelled, before running/limping into the Maze. Immediately, everyone followed.

Newt was right; the Grievers don’t stand a chance. Neither do the Creators.