CHAPTER 6

By the end of the week, I had tried every job there is. Well except for the Runners of course, which didn’t interest me one bit. So today, the Keepers were deciding what job I was going to get. The only ones I was decent at was the Med-jacks and the Cooks. And I didn’t think I suited either of them. Cooks, I was too quiet. And Med-jacks, I was too rough. I don’t even know what I want to do.

So right now, I was sitting in what they called the Gathering room. It consisted of wooden chairs sitting in a semi-circle, with one lone chair in the middle that faced them. Of course, I was the one to sit in that one.

“Would Floral’s new chosen Keeper please step forward?”, Alby called and I waited anxiously for one of the boys to stand up.

But what confused me, was that three stood up. The other Keepers looked like it was the most normal thing ever. The three Keepers, had smirks on their faces making me even more confused.

Newt
Frypan
and Clint

“I-I thought I had only one job and one Keeper....”, I stuttered, utterly confused.

“Well the thing is, you’re suitable and skilled for three things. Keepin’ the boys inline, cooking and medicine.  It’s rare to have someone who’s as skilled as you are in multiple jobs”, Alby explained.

“But Newt’s not a Keeper-“.

“I don’t have to be a Keeper to be in a job. I’m in my own job, on my own. But now, you’ll be part of it”, Newt grinned, finally able to boss someone around on the job.

“How do I keep the boys in line?”, I asked, not remembering a moment where I acted like that. Minho decided to but in now, making everyone’s attention turn to him.

“A few days ago, I saw you yelling at the Builders for shuckin’ around. You scared the livin’ day lights of them. I’d say that counts as ‘keepin’ the boys inline’”, Minho said before smirking.

Oh right, I forgot about that. They were all laughing and not getting any work done. I tried to ignore it until they started to holler out at me and made wolf whistles when I walked across the Glade. That’s when I finally snapped.

I could feel the tension in the air from Gally, who sat silently on the end of the chairs. I finally found out he was actually the Keeper of the Builders, and the creator of that awful drink Minho offered me at the Bombfire. Minho told me that he was, and I quote, ‘An absolute shuckin’ slinthead’. I didn’t know how bad he actually was until I yelled at the Builders. He stormed over to me and had a go at me for yelling at them when they were just joking around. But Newt and Minho soon came to my rescue, yelling right back at him.

 “You’ll do Med-jack one day, Cooking the next, then with Newt. You’ll repeat that”, Alby said, before standing up. “Gatherin’ over”.

The Keepers started getting up and walked out, all conversing in small voices. The only people that stayed back were Frypan, Clint, Minho and Newt. I stood up from my chair and they came over to me, smiles on their faces.