CHAPTER 21

The sound of the Grievers knocking and thudding against the walls of the Homestead was truly terrifying. Newt didn’t bother to protest about how we were alive, and just told everyone to stay quiet and stay close. The Gladers huddled in the corner of the Homestead, hoping to stay as far away as possible from the Grievers who were trying to break in.

Minho forced me to come sit with him near the back of the Gladers, his arms around me tightly. I could feel his heart beating at a high speed since my cheeks was against his chest. Minho’s back was against the wall and I was sitting beside him, feeling frightened and scared. Minho’s wounds from the fallen wall were still stinging and open, but he said he was fine and didn’t need any medical attention.

“Where’s Thomas?”, I asked in a quiet whisper, looking up at Minho.

“Right here”, the boy himself came over and sat down beside Minho. Chuck was following him and sat down beside him, looking frightened as well.

“Where’s Teresa?”, I asked again. Thomas seemed to perk up a little at the sound of her name, before a small blush crawled on to his cheeks.

“She’s tending to Alby in the other room, she’s fine”, Thomas said, before changing the subject. “How the shuck did you guys make it from the weapon’s hut?”.

“A lot of climbin’ and shootin’, I can tell ya’ that”, Minho replied, making the two confused.

“Climbin’? Climbin’ what?”, Chuck questioned.

“Can you guys bloody shut up?!”, Newt yelled in a whisper. He was glaring at us from the front of the group.

“Sorry Newt”, I said back, making him roll his eyes and turn away from us.

The Grievers outside were starting to claw at the walls, slowly breaking apart the Homestead. They were surrounding the premises, cutting us off from leaving. I’m not sure if they knew we were here, but they seemed to think that the house that looked the best built was the one that hid their next meals.

I suddenly could hear footsteps coming from the hall Minho and I had entered through, making me lean over him and try and see who had just suddenly entered the Homestead. The other Gladers seemed to have turned their heads, also hearing the footsteps, just to see Gally run in.

He looked terrible. His clothes were ripped with dozens of wounds, blood scattered all over his body. He also had many bruises, mostly covering his face and arms. Gally looked furious. I swear I could see steam pulsing out from his ears.

“Gally? Your ali-“, Newt was cut off by Gally speaking out loudly.

“They’ll kill you!”, he yelled. “The Grievers will kill you all! One every night till it’s over!”.

His appearance caused Minho to stand up from his place, keeping his arms around me and pulling me up with him. Thomas followed but Chuck stayed down. Newt stood up as well, staring at Gally in shock. Gally’s eyes scanned everyone, stopping at Minho and I. The fire on his eyes enraged and became even more furious at the sight of us.

“You”, Gally pointed a bloody finger at me, causing me to freeze. “It’s all your fault!”.

Minho’s grip on me tightened and his muscles flexed out of anger, his face going stone cold. I knew that he would lash out if Gally opened his mouth again, but luckily Newt butted in and saved Gally a harsh beating.

“Gally! Shut your bloody hole! Floral is as clueless as any of us”, Newt said, trying to stay quiet.

“You don’t get it Newt. You’re too stupid. You’ve always been too stupid. There’s no way out! There’s no way to win! They’re gonna kill you, all of you! One by one!”, Gally made even quiet, staring at him in his furious and crazed state. “The shuck Maze’ll kill all you shanks. The Grievers’ll kill you! One every night!”.

Gally then wheeled around and ran towards one of the boarded shut windows, and started to pull away the wood with his bare hands. The nails made his hands more bloody, but he didn’t seem to care as the Grievers on the outside were starting to become visible when the blocks of wood were ripped off.

Newt was the first to react, running forward to stop Gally in some way. Thomas the second the react before Minho followed after him, leaving me near the wall with Chuck. Gally swung one of the pieces of wood backwards and collided it with Newt’s head, making him fall back on to the floor with a nasty wound on his temple. Bloody sprayed out, making the Glader’s eyes widen in shock.

I chose to shoot forward and rush to Newt’s side, pulling him over so he was on his back and I squat beside him. He was unconscious, but the wound on his head was bleeding quite a bit. Clint came forward after and helped me pull Newt away from the window that Gally was ripping off.

I put Newt’s head on my lap, before looking up, just to see Gally pull off the last board. The other Gladers fled into the hallway, leaving only me, Minho, Thomas, Gally and Newt. I saw a Griever push through the small window, waving around it’s metallic arms with the weapons attached and screamed out it’s hideous squawk.

“No one ever understood!”, Gally yelled over the noise, somehow making his voice reach everyone’s ears. “I saw what happened! I went through the Changing! Don’t go back to the real world! You don’t want to remember!”.

Gally’s eyes were fixed on me when he said that, before turning around and literally jumping out into the Griever’s skin. I couldn’t hold back the gaping expression and saw Gally sink into’s the Griever’s hideous, disgusting skin. Then at the speed of light, the Griever pulled itself out from the small hole of the window, and ran away from the Homestead. I carefully put Newt’s head down on the floor, before jumping up and following Minho and Thomas to look out the hole.

All the Griever’s were retreating back into the Maze.

They rolled and clicked, before disappearing behind the walls. Gally’s body was gone for good, and the Glade was silent besides the burning fires that had been started. I didn’t notice Minho suddenly run out the Homestead and into the Glade, only until I saw him heading towards the Maze.

“MINHO! WHERE ARE YOU GOING?!”, I yelled out to him, but he didn’t listen. I quickly ran to the door of the Homestead and ran out into the Glade, trying my very best to push my tired legs to catch up to Minho.

He had just passed the doors when I heard someone yell for me to stop. I didn’t bother to listen and was about to follow Minho into the Maze, when arms locked around middle and pulled me back. I saw Minho turn the first corner and he was gone. I froze in my place, my eyes wide at what Minho just did.

“He knows what he’s doing Floral..... he’ll be fine”, I heard Thomas say from behind me. His arms soon loosening and falling back to his sides.