quaint | leona kingscholar

The sweet musky smell of books and old papers filled your nostrils as you sat on one of the chairs inside the library

The sweet musky smell of books and old papers filled your nostrils as you sat on one of the chairs inside the library. You told yourself to find a seat that was more secluded than the other areas and fortunately, you managed to stumble upon a small area where the furniture and the books seemed older than the rest.

The creaking of the wooden planks underneath your feet each time you took a step greeted you. It was safe to assume that this area wasn't particularly safe—perhaps the headmaster forgot to renovate this? Though despite the creepy exterior and the risk you're exposed to, you continued to come here on a daily basis to read books and the like.

Various scrolls were placed atop one other in a neat fashion on the nearby shelves—they contained records about past events and the like. Books were lined up in no particular order—the people who've gone here must've been careless when returning the books. You let out a sigh, this was your favourite spot in the school.

You opened the book in your hands. The hardcover was full of dust, it was hard to not get your hands dirty as you held it up—but you paid it little to no attention as you quickly flipped the pages to the first chapter. In a slow voice, you read the first words aloud:

"Once upon a time…"

Ah, another fairytale you were going to indulge in. Will the protagonist save the day once again? Or perhaps, the author decided to put their own twist into it? You could barely hide the excitement in your smile as you grasped the book tighter.

The silence in the air and the creaking of the floorboards made it hard for anyone to pass by unnoticed but you were a tad lost in your own fantasies. You didn't notice anyone approach you until you heard a voice sneak up from behind, saying:

"Oi, herbivore."

You quickly closed the book. Jumping in your seat slightly as you let your guard up, your heartbeat sped up and you couldn't help but feel the heat rush to your face in embarrassment. It seemed like you were overreacting over nothing. You let out a relieved sigh, "Oh, Leona. It's just you."

He took a seat right next to you as he propped his elbows on the wooden table in front of you—resting his cheek on the center of his palm. "What are you doing here?"

"Oh me?" You held up your book towards him, "I was just starting a new book."

Leona let out an uninterested sound, not even bothering to look a little bit interested for your sake. Though you paid it little mind. You knew him well enough to know that he'd rather take a nap right now than to listen to you ramble.

But the next question he had for you caught you off guard.

"What's it about?"

You smiled a little, happy that Leona was showing a bit of interest. "I don't know yet. This one didn't have a description in the back, unfortunately."

Taking a deep breath, you gathered up the courage to ask him something. You knew full well that he wouldn't want to sit beside you and read a book together—he wasn't that type of guy. But, in the very least, perhaps he can consider your request.

"Would you like to rest your head on my lap as I read?"

The way his eyes widened was simply too adorable.