2

14th September
2005

Seonghwa and Hongjoong speed out of the area as quickly as they can. They avoid anywhere with people, Seonghwa's clothes and Hongjoong's jeans still smothered in blood.

"What's your name? Any family waiting for you?" Hongjoong casually asks as they jog through a field to get to the other side of town. Seonghwa's heart clenches and his speed gets slower.

"I'm Seonghwa. And my aunt and uncle..." he mumbles back, feeling guilty. They were so kind to him and he didn't appreciate them enough. Now it's more than likely that they won't see their nephew again.

Hongjoong also slows down and turns to the other. "Are you very close with them? Would they look for you?" he wonders. Seonghwa looks to his feet. Should he be honest?

"Yes to both questions. After losing both of my parents to a car accident, I'm quite dear to them. They're the only family I have left," he admits. Hongjoong nods and speeds up again.

Seonghwa also catches up. He gulps and forces himself to ask the same question back, feeling a bit curious.

"And what about you? Do you have family waiting for you?"

Hongjoong stops in his tracks, Seonghwa following suit. They pant, out of breath from running and talking for so long. "Let's take a quick break," Hongjoong suddenly announces, taking a seat on the long, dry grass underneath them. Seonghwa hesitates before also sitting down.

"I do have family but they aren't exactly waiting for me," Hongjoong begins with a laugh. "My very own mother hates me- I mean, she hated me. She's the woman I just killed," he nonchalantly explains.

Seonghwa gasps, bringing his hands to his mouth. Hongjoong killed his very own mother? How could he kill his mother when Seonghwa has been wishing that his own were alive for so long?

"Though I also have an adorable younger sister. I was going to pay her a visit until you interrupted my plans," Hongjoong continues. Seonghwa's eyes widen in shock.

Hongjoong laughs loudly. "Don't worry, I'd never kill her! She's the only person I love and she's the only one who sees me as a human instead of a monster," he sadly reminisces. He picks at the grass beneath them, lost in his thoughts.

Seonghwa uncomfortably watches the other. It feels odd to him that the other boy can talk about things like murdering his own family so carelessly. 

"Do you miss your aunt and uncle right now?" Hongjoong asks without lifting his head, catching on to how Seonghwa doesn't seem so upset about it. The older gulps, thinking long and hard about his answer. He feels like he should watch what he says in front of this dangerous boy.

But maybe the truth wouldn't do much harm this time.

"I feel bad for saying this, but no. They're nice to me but whenever I see them, I think of my parents and those memories are stopping me from getting too attached to them. They're still special to me though," he mumbles, now picking at the grass too.

Hongjoong hums in acknowledgment, though he still doesn't lift his head.

"Are you going to kill me?" Seonghwa timidly questions. Hongjoong finally looks back up with a smile. "To be honest, I don't care about what happens to you. That also means that I'm not bothered to kill you, but do remember that if you do anything fishy then maybe I'll change my mind," he beams.

Seonghwa gets a shiver down his spine. "B-But you said we're friends! You can't kill your friend," he argues. He shrinks back in fear of getting on Hongjoong's bad side, but surprisingly the other boy only drops his mouth open in wonder.