26

25th July
2006

The older SS member raises an eyebrow at the two teenagers clutching giant bags close to themselves as they're about to get into the car.

"The reason for the bags?" he questions, deeply suspicious. "If I do find Jangmi, I have a lot of things I want to give her first. I've been gathering things for years and I am confident that we'll find her today, so I-"

"Cool, just get into the car," the member interrupts, already sick of Hongjoong's rants about his sister. Hongjoong clenches his fist and gets in reluctantly, his anger spiking up. As soon as the gang member interrupted Hongjoong, Seonghwa could nearly feel Hongjoong's future anger. And he was right to think so. When he's sitting beside his friend in the car, he can feel the rage seething off him.

He places a hand on his friend's and leans over. "Remember the plan. If you're too mad we'll mess it up," he whispers. Hongjoong visibly calms at these words and shakes Seonghwa's hand off. "Don't ever tell me what to do. I'll set you on fire too," he growls quietly, but it's clear that he means no harm with his words. Seonghwa has gotten used to the aggressive threats, and he knows well now that they're empty.

He knows Hongjoong means every word he says usually, but when it comes to Seonghwa he could never do a thing. He won't let anyone lay a finger on Seonghwa, including himself. This thought alone makes the boy feel warm inside.

They reach the hospital and as soon as Hongjoong's eyes lie on it, he feels a rush of various emotions. One thing he feels despair and dread. The worn out sign and filthy exterior walls- this building has not changed at all. The next thing he feels is pain. The memories of it all. The kids that would pick on him. The nurses that would mistreat him. The way he felt when his father would drag him back after the visits to his family every few months.

And the final thing he feels is excitement. Exhilaration courses through his veins. The adrenaline from the anxiety fuels his determination. While the hurtful memories rush back, so do his pleasant ones. The freedom and joy he felt the day he killed that nurse and escaped. The satisfaction he felt after punching his bullies in the face.

And now he can finally erase this place from the maps. Hongjoong wants to jump out the window and start attacking everyone in the building with all the emotions mixing inside him.

But then once again, Seonghwa gently grabs Hongjoong's shoulder. "Remember, we shouldn't hurt anyone. We need to get everyone out first," he hisses. Hongjoong snaps out of his murderous thoughts and rolls his eyes before glaring at Seonghwa. "Don't think you can be the boss of me. You follow what I say," he barks. Once again, Seonghwa smiles and sits back. "Yes, sir," he mumbles playfully.

Hongjoong chuckles lightly, his nerves easing up greatly. "You sound so silly," he shakes his head. The driver watches them from his rear view mirror after he's done parking and smiles to himself. He doesn't know what they're talking about, but he still feels a strange sense of adoration. Sometimes he pities the boys, knowing that they could have been pure children but now they're stuck in a gang.

It's clear he's not aware that Hongjoong is the one who forced himself into one.

"How long will you take? I need to go to someone's house for a few minutes after this so be quick," he asks while unbuckling his seatbelt. "Wait! I have a good idea! Give us just one hour, you can visit whoever's house in the meantime. Just come to pick us up after," Hongjoong suggests, mostly so that his plan can still go ahead.

The man feels conflicted. "It might be dangerous though..." he drifts off. His girlfriend's face pops up in his head and he finds it harder to follow Jaehyun's orders.