14

4th October
2005

"Where did you get something like that?" the man asks warily, taking one step closer to Hongjoong, who has his gun trained to the man. Hongjoong wordlessly cocks the gun and continues to aim it at the man, which stops him in his tracks.

"Bring me to your leader, old man. I am interested in joining your gang," he simply states. The man lets out a few chuckles. "Why would a little kid want to join a gang? Do you even know what gangs do?" he responds.

Hongjoong's grip on his gun tightens and he feels rage bubbling up. "Have you heard of MX?" Hongjoong asks. The man's smile falls instantly and his eyebrows furrow. "You're with them?" he asks cautiously.

Hongjoong smiles again. "I hate them, so let me see your leader. I want to see if your gang is better than theirs," he announces carelessly. The man's mind runs with questions, but he finally looks a bit more interested.

"I've never seen a kid your age hating that gang so much! What about your friend here? He looks like he just saw a ghost," the man refers to Seonghwa, who won't stop shaking while hiding behind Hongjoong.

"He'll be joining us. He's great at shooting," he shows off, causing Seonghwa to slightly blush out of embarrassment. "That's nothing to show off," he whispers. Hongjoong smirks to himself but continues to stare the man down.

"I'll bring you to our leader, but the moment you do anything stupid, I'll punch a dent into you and your friend's skulls. Is that clear?" the man declares.

Hongjoong is more than satisfied with this and happily tucks his gun away, but feels the outline of his dagger under his jumper. He'll have to use that if the man tries to hurt them.

"Follow me."

Seonghwa grips his hands onto the sleeve of Hongjoong's sleeve tightly and doesn't let go even as they walk behind the man. His worried eyes flicker onto everything in their surroundings, from the yellow streetlights to the glowing shop and restaurant signs. It's nearing dinner time, making the paths busy with people while gentle music and the aromas of various foods waft through the air. The sound of constant chatter in the background reminds Seonghwa that even though his life is no longer the same, the world around him still hasn't changed at all.

Everyone looks like they're having the time of their life while Seonghwa is following a dangerous man with his life on the line at every moment. He's even resorted to trusting his kidnapper at this point. He looks around at the adults in their fancy attire, probably on their way to a party or a restaurant. Seonghwa silently wonders if he'll ever get to experience life like that at some point in the future at this rate. Or will he be fearing for his life for years and years?

The boys arrive in front of a large house at the edge of the city, similar to the one they just escaped from. "Do you all live in this house too?" Hongjoong asks, amused nearly.

"No, there's too many of us. It's just the boss that stays here along with the four members he's closest with," he explains as Hongjoong soaks up all this information. The man freezes before he opens the door. "By the way, if we find out that you're a spy from MX then you'll be begging for us to blow your brains out with how much we'll make you suffer," he whispers.

Seonghwa gulps and his legs suddenly feel like jelly, while Hongjoong laughs along as if it was a joke. The man shows his concern on his face but continues in anyway.

He leads the boys to a room and stands beside the door. "Go ahead," he hisses to them. Seonghwa doesn't want to go inside at all, but he doesn't want to stay near the man for even one more second.