11

4th October
2005

Two weeks have passed since the first time Seonghwa had fired a gun. Every single day has been filled with training for him and Hongjoong, the two also having learned a few more tricks, other than shooting.

The two also came to learn that this gang is largely involved in drug trafficking, explaining their delivery jobs. They've also witnessed Hoseok and the other members returning to the house with blood decorating their outfits, which had been another shocking way for Seonghwa to find out what the gang does with their enemies.

But after that incident, Hyungwon gained a bit more confidence in the kids.

Which leads the boys to today. Their very first mission.

Seonghwa can't stop his racing heart as he tightens his shoelaces while the other gang members also equip themselves with weapons and other gear. Hongjoong and Seonghwa are the only members who are weaponless, as the adults don't trust the kids with guns outside the house just yet.

This will be the first mission Seonghwa will be going on that includes violence, and it's also the first mission without Hongjoong. One half of him is terrified to be all alone without his presence, now depending on it in between all these grown men.

But the other half is excited. Hongjoong's team will be going to pursue one of the gang's debtors, while Seonghwa's group will be assassinating another. They won't tell the kids any details, but they still think it might help to let them get the taste of a real mission, preparing them for what's to come in the future.

But Seonghwa doesn't care today, because he's made himself a separate plan. His biggest concern before was trying to escape both the gang and Hongjoong. If there was an opportunity to escape from one, he'd still be stuck with the other in a dangerous situation. But today, the perfect chance introduced itself to him.

He'll be alone with only three other gang members, away from Hongjoong and the other members. If he's sneaky and careful, he'll be able to slip away from the group and approach any stranger for help, his destination being the police station. Then he'll finally feel secure.

He smiles to himself when he sees that the buff Hoseok chooses to stay at the house, leaving the smaller members with the two boys. Although they're still way larger than the kids, it's better than having the scarier members with them.

"Ready?" one of the members asks Seonghwa. He didn't even realise he's been stuck tightening his shoelaces this entire time pointlessly and finally hops up.

"Y-Yes," he stutters, more nerves settling in at the sight of the scars on the members' faces. He'll definitely die if he gets caught today. And he can't even tell if it'll be worse to die at the hands of Hongjoong or at the hands of these gang members.

His heart jumps when he feels a warm hand touch his softly. "Good luck today," Hongjoong whispers to him with a friendly smile. Seonghwa feels a tinge of guilt settling in him as he forces a smile back. "You too."

And with that, the teams leave the house and split. "Show our enemies what happens when they go against us!" Hoseok shouts from behind. Seonghwa turns his head and a chill runs through his spine when he sees Hoseok's eyes trained onto him. It sounded like he was cheering on his members, yet why does it feel like it's an indirect warning or a threat?

He must be overthinking it. He didn't even discuss his plan with Hongjoong, there's no way anyone would know about it.

As one of the members repeats instructions to Seonghwa, reality sets in. How will this even work? His sweaty palms alone give him a bad feeling. A scared little boy like him is bound to make a fatal mistake. Still, this is his only chance. Hongjoong's been planning an escape with Seonghwa too, he's just waiting for the right moment. But Seonghwa must escape before that, or else he'll be stuck in Hongjoong's palm all over again.