18 - Temple of the Sun

I couldn't quite comprehend what Calisto had just told me -- that I was their missing princess. But seeing every islander on their knees, bowing before me forced me to accept the revelation. I looked down at the magical map in my hands, then up at the lowered heads of our captors. The pirates beside me, moments away from being beheaded stared at me in surprise. It seemed no one wanted to move until I had spoken. So I pointed toward the pirates.

"None of the pirates are to be harmed. You will release them immediately!" I said in a stern voice, doubting that my order would be heeded. But to my surprise, blades were lowered, and hands were removed from the pirates.

"But my princess, we cannot let them live. They will destroy us." Calisto said.

"They will not. I will make sure of it." I said, turning to Louis once more as he shrugged a burly man off him and straightened his shirt.

An older woman rushed up to me then, her eyes filled with relief, joy, and disbelief. It had only just occurred to me that if these people were my own, my family must be here. My entire life I thought I would be alone; that I would never find my family or where I had come from. My heart thudded in my chest as I wondered if this woman could be my mother. She lowered her head in a deep bow.

"My princess! You have found your way back to us." She cried. "I am Alisia, the queen's servant. You must come with me."

She gestured for me to follow her and the people behind her parted to make way for me. Was she going to take me to the queen? To my...mother?

"Wait. My people. I must have confidence that they will not be harmed." I spoke up, worried about Louis.

"Whatever you command of us, we will obey." Alisia said.

I glanced at Calisto, who appeared slightly less glad to see me than before. He still held a long curved sword in his hands.

"These pirates are no longer your enemies. They shall be treated as guests." I announced, attempting to sound confident, but I had no practice giving orders to others. I didn't think anyone would listen.

However, the crowd bowed their heads in obedience.

"Come, your highness. We must go to the Temple of the Sun where I will help you wash and change your clothes. Your people will prepare a magnificent celebration in honor of you tonight." Alisia said and this time I hesitantly went with her.

I looked back at Louis as I followed Alisia and caught him staring back at me. I hoped the natives obeyed my orders and treated him and his crew like guests. Several others followed us, seeming excited to be near me.

I was led through the mud huts and other crude buildings until we started passing nicer looking structures. Buildings made of stone and gold. The dirt beneath our feet soon became a gold brick path, lined with tropical flowers that smelled sweeter than honey. Passing across an open area with a spring in the middle, shooting water into the air, Alisia led me across to a wide set of stairs leading up to the largest building which looked like a temple. Solid gold pillars held up the roof. The building itself wasn't completely gold. They had built it into the cliff beside it, using the landscape for support. Vines and flowers decorated the walls and steps. It must have taken hundreds of years for them to build such a place.

At the top of stairs overlooking the square, a single golden throne sat in front of me, adorned with growing vines and bright colored flowers. But Alisia and a few younger girls escorted me to the right and up some more stairs that curved along the cliff face. At the top, it appeared to be the living space for someone of importance. Perhaps my parents? But no one was there.

The large window openings had no glass, letting the warm breeze lazily drift through. A sheer material of some kind was draped on either side of the windows and blew elegantly in the wind. The largest bed I had ever seen was on one side. In the middle of the room was a pool with a waterfall flowing into it, which was where the women led me.