11 - Three Stars

As soon as I finished the prophecy's last word, I was broken out of my trance when Louis ripped the map from my grasp and yelled at me. "I told you not to touch it you stupid bîtch! Now look what you've done!"

My skin erupted into goosebumps as the words spun in my head. My blood must be shed? That couldn't mean what it so clearly seemed to mean...could it?

"Are you even listening to me?" Louis shouted angrily, slamming the map onto the table.

I jumped, staring at him as if seeing him for the first time. He was so desperate to keep me in the dark, never telling me what was going on, what their mission was, why I was here. I only knew where we were going because Niall and Harry had told me. Now I understood why Louis didn't want me to know. Not only did it say that my blood was required for their quest, but it also said that I would be the cause of their demise...of Louis' demise.

"This is why you're afraid of me? Because you think I'm going to kill you?" I asked.

His nostrils flared in defensive anger at my words. "For the last time, I'm not afraid of you."

I quickly reached out and grasped the hilt of his sword, just to see what he would do. He slapped my hand away and stepped back, grabbing the hilt himself. He looked shaken. I raised an eyebrow and crossed my arms.

"Not afraid are you?"

Annoyed, he glared at me and pointed to the door. "Get out and stay out of trouble. I ought to punish you for this."

"You don't need to be scared, Louis... I've never killed anyone in my life." I said.

"Indira, I swear if you say I'm scared one more-"

"I apologize, but have you read the prophecy closely? It says the day when the moon is high and you've dug up your prize, that's when I supposedly trigger your demise. You shouldn't have to be...concerned that I'll do anything until then. And I promise you now, I won't kill you." I tried to assure him, but he looked doubtful.

"You're right about that. But there's no shame in being ready for anything." He replied, slowly calming down.

I neared him again and this time he didn't flinch. "I promise, I won't do what it says I will."

"It's a prophecy. Prophecies come true." He sighed deeply and started for the door.

"Not this one. I was just an insignificant slave, now a prisoner on a pirate ship. I'm not cut out to murder an infamous pirate captain who's holding me captive." I told him teasingly, following behind him as he walked back out onto the upper deck.

I thought I saw him smile, but he turned his head away. "You ought to go see if your dress is dry."

"Oh, alright." I said as he glanced down at my legs.

"Those trousers are distracting. I don't want the crew giving you a hard time when I'm not around." He said, clearing his throat.

I thought that perhaps he was distracted by them, because he couldn't seem to stop glancing down, but I didn't say anything. He noticed my curious stare and swiftly began walking away.

"Stay out of trouble, Indie." He called back to me.

"It's Indira." I responded, but he ignored me.

•••

Later that day when night was slowly falling, the stars were coming out one by one. I was dressed in my blue dress again and stood at the bow of the ship. We were all searching the skies for the mysterious three stars that were on the map.