10 - Sunrise and a Naked Fish

The rest of the night consisted of troubled sleep and nightmares, but somehow I managed to sleep until the morning. As I woke up, slowly remembering my predicament, I sat up sleepily and looked around.

The first rays of morning sun were shining through the paned windows, casting a comforting warm glow throughout the cabin. Louis wasn't beside me, but instead he was sitting on a trunk near the window, staring out at the calm ocean. He was shirtless, with his elbow resting on his knee while his chin rested against his hand. Valentine was perched on the window seat beside him, gratefully basking in the soft caresses of her owner.

I wondered when the storm had passed, it almost seemed as if I had simply dreamed it, for the sky was clear. I swung my legs off the bed, remembering I was wearing Louis' clothes. My dress was hung up to dry.

He must have heard me moving, for he turned his head. "You're awake."

"Where did you sleep? Or did you?" I asked, clearing my throat when it cracked from not being used all night.

"I didn't want to wake you. The storm only passed an hour ago anyway." He shrugged, looking back out the window.

I got off the bed and hesitantly walked over to him. I felt a little uncomfortable with him seeing me dressed like this, but he had seen me in less. Stopping beside him, I reached down and scratched Valentine's head. She chirped happily and nibbled on my fingers.

"You saved her last night." Louis spoke up. He sounded exhausted.

"I did." I said.

"I know I sounded angry last night, but I was just...concerned that you might've fell overboard. And Valentine means a great deal to me, so thank you-for risking your life and my wrath to save her." Louis said seriously, keeping his gaze on the bird.

I smiled to myself, clasping my hands together. He had never spoken to me like this before. He didn't sound like he wanted to throw me overboard like usual.

"You're wearing my clothes." He commented.

"Oh...mine were soaked through. I hope you don't mind." I worried.

"Of course I don't mind. You're a sight at the moment. Messy hair, sleepy eyes, wearing my clothes." He turned and looked at me with a sly smirk.

Realizing what he was insinuating, I blushed and walked away from him. "I'm sure my dress is dry by now."

But it wasn't, it was still dripping on the floor. I let out a breath of annoyance and placed my hands on my hips.

Louis' footsteps neared me and I turned to see him approach me. "I'd best be getting back on deck. The crew will be needing my help to get everything straightened out. That storm was like nothing I've ever seen-it didn't seem natural. And then it just...ended in the span of five minutes."

"How peculiar." I frowned.

He looked extremely puzzled and stared off into the distance for a moment until I snapped him out of his thoughts.

"Is the mermaid alright?" I asked.

He absentmindedly fiddled with a strand of my loose hair as he said, "It lives in the ocean, I'm sure it's fine and probably would have been overjoyed if we had sunk."

"May I check on her-"

"Absolutely not." He said before I even finished my sentence. He was probably remembering the last time we checked on her...

"But-"

"I do not want a repeat of what happened. I will check on her myself and you will stay away from the brig while I do so." He decided and headed for the door, pulling on his shirt and boots.