6 - Deadly Creatures

During the next few days, the pirates kept me in the little room I was first imprisoned in. The small dark one with barely enough room for a cramped cot. I was miserable there, seasick and disoriented because of the darkness. No one would let me out except when I needed to relieve myself. I hadn't seen the sun or the sky in four days. I could only tell time by the meals they brought me.

On the fifth day, I lay curled up on the dirty cot, still wearing the same royal blue dress the captain had dressed me in before. I didn't know what I'd done wrong to deserve this. No one would talk to me. Why would he put me in here for so long and refuse to speak to me? I simply didn't understand why he was punishing me like this.

The door suddenly sprung open and Niall stood there, his strong arms twitching at his sides. "Why the hell is she still in here? You liver bellied bilge rat! She might've gotten sick being shut up in this fowl room. Take her out and let her freshen up."

The jumpy pirate who had been bringing me food everyday scurried inside the doorway and helped me to my feet. His thin beard scratched against my cheek as he lifted me up and helped me stand. I wobbled slightly and held my head, feeling it ache.

"Mm..." I groaned.

"You're sea sick darlin'? Spend some time on deck and get you're sea legs." Niall ushered the pirate away.

After I'd freshened up and relieved myself, I was led to outside. The moment the door opened, I inhaled deeply. The fresh air practically stunned me—it felt so incredible sliding down my windpipe. The pirate pulled me out by the arm and brought me over to the railing where the water was rushing by swiftly. I felt sick again, seeing the horizon rise and fall and the ship swaying in the wind. I held my stomach, rushing to bend over the side and lurched my guts out.

The pirate behind me chuckled and patted me on the back. "Give it time, you'll feel better."

I heard a few cackles behind me and I turned to see several pirates watching me with grins on their faces. Apparently it was extremely amusing to see their prisoner sick to her stomach.

"Oi! Mind your business!" Niall's voice bellowed from the doorway where we'd exited.

He sauntered over to us in his black blousy shirt and buckles and straps all over his vest. His heavy boots knocked against the floorboards as he approached us.

"Alright Weston, you can get back to work. I'll take her from here." Niall spoke authoritatively.

The bearded man, Weston, nodded and scampered away without looking at me once. I leaned against the railing and faced Niall who placed his thumbs in his belt.

He eyed me with a cocked eyebrow. "Stay up here for a while and you'll feel better. Look at the horizon and don't move your head too much. Don't focus on the waves or you might find yerself more sick. Have you ever been on board a ship lassie?"

"No, not in my life. I've always remained in Davenport, the town you found me in." I told him, looking out toward the horizon.

"Well you'll soon grow used to it. I'll convince the captain not to put ya in that little room anymore. It's normally only used to quarantine sick pirates." He commented.

"Sick pirates?" I questioned, wondering if I would catch some deadly disease from being in there for so long.

"Oh you won't be getting sick, no worries. Someone ends up cleaning it well afterward as punishment for something." Niall shrugged nonchalantly. "Anyway, I'll be leaving you on yer own for a bit. Got some things to do in the chart room with the captain. So don't go wandering in places you shouldn't. If someone starts bothering you just scream and somebody'll come help you."