2 - Lace and Disobedience

The dark and foreboding ship grew closer and closer as the men rowed slowly and quietly so as not to draw attention from shore. My skin was chilled and my body shook in fear the moment the ship was revealed fully in the moonlight once there was a break in the clouds. We pulled up alongside of it and quickly and deftly I was pulled up and onto the ship's deck.

Other men who were already on the boat gave me curious looks and stepped back in surprise the moment my hood was yanked off. My heart was beating furiously and I felt ready to faint.

"What have we got here? A little wench to keep us company?" A man called out, touching my face and then reaching out for my waist.

Jerking back, I ran into someone and his arms grabbed my bound wrists, pulling me away from the man who touched me.

"She's not here for pleasure men. Keep your hands off her or you'll be thrown overboard." The Captain announced to the whole crew. "Liam! Take her to a cabin."

"Aye Captain!" The man who appeared to be Liam stepped forward.

As the Captain handed me off to him, I nearly stumbled and fell as I felt weak and terrified. I mumbled unintelligible words through the gag and whipped my head around, staring at all of the pirates surrounding me. It was my worst nightmare.

Escaping one cruel master only to be thrown into the arms of another? What could be worse? Liam held me by the arm and walked briskly through the crowd until he came to a door and opened it up, shoving me through and making me walk with him. The narrow corridor smelled of sea air and rotting wood and I swear I saw a rat. My hair was falling out of the ribbon I had tied it up with and strings were falling in my face.

Liam turned a corner and we came to a small door. He took keys out of a pocket and unlocked the ancient door, kicking it open and pushing me through. Then he slammed it shut and locked it right after.

Whimpering, I struggled to get off the dirty floor, which was extremely difficult to do with my hands still tied. He hadn't even had the decency to take the gag out of my mouth. What was I going to do? Scream for help when no one who could hear me would help?

It was then that I noticed an absence around my waist. Panicked, I looked down and didn't see the money bag. I felt a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach. The one essential thing my future depended on was gone. It must have fallen off during the tussle in the tavern. Without money, I'd be on the streets again; that is if I ever escaped these pirates.

Tears ran down my cheeks as I caught sight of a filthy cot in the dim light. The room was unnervingly small; only five by six probably and it was dark and cold. Climbing onto the cot which was at least better than the floor, I brought my knees to my chest and hid my face between my them, uncomfortable with my hands behind my back. What were they planning to do with me?

A short time later the door rattled and then opened again. A pirate I'd never seen before came in. He wore a leather vest, buckles and designs adorning the front. He had unruly blond hair and an unsure expression as he stepped inside holding some lace fabric. "I've strict orders from the Captain. I'm going to step out and give you two minutes to put this on. If I come back inside to find you haven't even started to undress, I'll put it on you me-self. Got it, wench?"

Taken aback by his surprising rudeness, I could only nod anxiously.

"Good." He tossed whatever it was onto the cot and moved toward me. When I jerked away and squeaked fearfully, he sighed in annoyance. "I'm only going to untie you. No need to be afraid. My name is Niall."

Calming my frantic breathing, I froze as he took a dagger out and sliced the ropes that bound my wrists. He took the gag out of my mouth and then paused to look at my tear stained face. "Aye, its a pity you're so beautiful, little lass. It'll be difficult for the men to keep their hands off of you."